.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I wanna drive a Zamboni

I got a pair of bob skates from Crappy Tire the day Kieran turned 20 months.

Our first attempt to get him to experience ice for the first time wasn't that successful, he fell asleep on the way to the park. So I ended up skating on my own while Tresa stayed with him in the car. My skates were super dull and I couldn't even get an edge. So it was a good thing he was asleep. But Tresa's a far better skater than I am so she would have taken him anyways.

I ended up getting my skates sharpened, but Sport Chek couldn't sharpen my skates because the blades were so low. So they said to go to Play it Again Sports, where I found out that the blade holder was cracked. So...guess it's time for new skates, or replace the holder and the blades.

I'll figure something out.

But today after daycare I decided that I'd take him skating for the first time.

It was pretty empty on the ice when we got there. But there was a kids hockey game in 20 mins and the zamboni was about to flood the ice. GEEZUS.

Patience isn't always a virtue that's blessed on 20 month old toddlers.

But he waited. And waited.


Finally I got my skates on and his skates with the four blades on. And we were skating.

All he was saying for the first 30 seconds was "Fall Down"
Guess he didn't feel too sure of himself on the ice.
He was doing the Antonio Shuffle for a bit then started to do the splits. But he'll get used to it and feel more comp-port-able, like being on dry land with rubber shoes.

Soon he'll be running goalies during games.
Hopefully not.

I carried him around the ice just so he could feel the sensation of gliding around.

But is it ever hard on the back.
I thought I'd better do this before the weather gets super cold. It's supposed to drop to -17 deg C on Thursday and a high of -9 deg C.
Better break out the long underwear.