.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Kona rust

I've been bugging this guy for almost 2 months to go riding in the Don.  Kept telling me he's gonna do it, but needs to bring his bike in cuz it's rusted from being in the condo garage for 2yrs.
Finally he brought it over to my place.

It didn't seem bad.  But the front derailleur was seized, luckily taking it off the bike and oiling it got it working again.  The cable adjusters for the brake levers were seized and one cable housing was rusted stuck in the barrel.

Rusted brake cables.
Junk in the bottom bracket.
Filthy chain.

The only thing I couldn't resolve was the rusted rear wheel axle.  Luckily the tire wasn't flat, but if he were to get a flat.
That won't be my problem.

But that was pretty much it.
minor stuff.
like a spring tune up after many skipped ones.
You know - like hey your warranty is void now since you were too lazy to bring it in after many reminders.

And i didn't have to touch the shifters.  I just cleaned the pulleys and chain and cassette.
It all runs pretty smooth now after some TLC.

Not sure what a bike shop would have charged.  But the chain wasn't stretched. I didn't take a close look at the cassette, but if the chain doesn't slip it's good to go.

I'm sure they would have replaced the gear & brake housings & cable, chain, cassette, and who knows what they would've charged to un-seize everything.  But judging from what my cousin said they were gonna charge her for a bottom bracket maintenance on her swap fest bike, I'm sure it would have been more than the cost of a bucket of KFC and green coleslaw.

When I was at a bike shop, the cost to replace a chain was 60.00 + the chain which was 30.00.  That's what I overheard when this couple came in.
Plus tax!  I thought.  wow that's a lot.  But a business has to make money.

But if you don't know how to do it.
Well you can either try and learn for yourself, but then you have to have the tools.  So if you aren't going to be doing this often.
I would suck it up and pay the LBS to do it right.
Because it'll cost you more to do it yourself initially and to fix a mistake.

And then  you get to enjoy yourself on the Don Trails.
Keeled over and sucking wind cuz you're out of shape,
walking your bike?

C'mon man you can ride that part!