.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Northern Exposure

Happy New Year!
And this is how I rang in 2006 - on my back after falling down the stairs at Pat's house up in Timmins. With Kieran in one arm and my digital camera in the other. I managed keep them both from harm. Kieran has a little boo boo on his left leg, but Pat says that it should heal up in 7-10 days.

As I was walking down the stairs to get a better shot of Camryn and Indy jumping on the bed in the game room, I stepped on something tubular and made my way into the new year horizontal. As I was falling I had the presence in mind to lift Kieran up so that he wasn't going to hit the stairs too.

I ended up hitting my lower back on my left side on the edge of the stairs. I wasn't winded or anything, but I was in a lot of discomfort. My only concern was that Kieran was okay. I could hear him crying but I wasn't sure if he was hurt or just freaked out. So Tresa gave him deh deh to calm him down. And I drank some red wine to calm me down. And I got Indy and Maddie to help me massage and stretch my back.

He initially seemed okay, playing and laughing and eating. We checked him out. Squeezing his legs and arms. Nothing. So he was fine. But when he we would put him on the floor or bed to stand he would lift his left leg. This wasn't right I thought. Pat checked him out. And Kieran didn't indicate any discomfort from Pat checking his leg out.

As Jan 1, 2006 came rolling in the next day I noticed Kieran lifting his left leg off the bed. Trying hard not to put any weight on his leg. So off we went to the hospital for the second time in 2 days to get his leg x-ray'd. No break, but Pat said there was a buckle fracture. Since baby's bones are so malleable, like clay. They don't break, but the bone just above his left ankle was not how it should be. And he said that the force of the fall probably did bang him up a bit. We're going to get his leg x-ray'd again in a week to check it's progress. But he should be right as rain in two weeks.

He's nursing the foot right now, but he seems okay. He's crawling around now and jabbering away like he normally does. I'm just glad his okay. It could have been much worse. I just gotta say that this kid is a trooper. He's already trying to stand up. But he's not putting all of his weight on his left leg. But it's not stopping him from getting around.

We thought they'd lost Kieran's car seat when we were getting our stuff, but they put it in the odd size pick up area. When the baggage claim carousel stopped. We thought uh-oh. Where's Kieran's car seat? How are we getting him home? Then I asked one of the attendents there where the odd sized stuff goes. And he pointed to Area 'A'. And as I was walking closer to it I saw his car seat and the 3 composite hockey sticks that this Junior B hockey player was waiting for too.

Not sure if you can recognize who these two guys who are on the escalator. Tresa recognized them while they were waiting for their luggage at the baggage claims areas - it's Ron Maclean and Don Cherry. You know, all of his shirts have those huge collars. He looked kinda pissed so I didn't ask for a photo or autograph. But as he was leaving the gated area people said 'hi' and he said 'hey kids' back. It was weird. Ron took a different path around the people while Don walked right through the people shaking hands.

Gotta say. The new Terminal 1 is really nice.

Click for more photos from up north