.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Stormy Sandy

TO Hydro Crews in our area
Hurricane Sandy hit land about 8pm ET in New Jersey.
Toronto is about 800 km away. That's 500 mi for you americans who have a mental block with base10 measurements.  And yet the storm managed to affect T.O.  With high winds and rain.  Mostly winds.

I was up watching some PVR'd pre-season basketball trying to wind down after my swim class by doing mine and Kieran's chlorinated swim stuff. At about 11:59pm, done with the swim gear, I was just about to put a load of jeans in, and poof. I was in pitch black.

Killer sign
Kieran finally agreed to wear his Speedo Jammers.  It'll knock at least 3 seconds off of his 60 sec / 25m front crawl.  I've never timed it.  Or I did and then forgot to click stop on my watch.
Plus it's easier to get his pants over them before heading to Splash.
He tried it and he liked how they felt.  So I think he's a believer.
He's still wearing his swim shirt though, but it's okay for practice, but for races he said he leave it off.



Staples sign kills TO woman
One of the kids at school told another mother that told me that some lady was killed by the Stockyards Staples/Business Depot sign last night that was blown off by the strong winds last night. So it must be true.  And sure enough.  I drove by the area and saw the police had taped off the area for investigation.

Also noticed TO Hydro crews in our area working to restore power.  Our power went back on about 9:40am.  NICE. The area south of us on Runnymede was unaffected.  I called the school and they had power. So we hurried and Kieran still managed to get to school on time, surprisingly.