.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wax on Wax off

It was an exciting day today.  It was Kieran's first day of Karate.  I've been looking forward to this day.  I just think any Martial Arts is a good thing for a young kid.  Seeing kuya at his Karate got him interested in it too.
I remember looking forward to class, and working out, practicing with others from the club of all varying levels.  The way others helped me learn the moves and the art.  Of course I was much older.  But it was very apparent to me and it made me realize that this is a valuable opportunity for Kieran.
At this age any Martial Arts will do.
As long as the club has stability and has a long history.
Many other clubs rent their facility.  So these ones already have a high overhead. But this club has been in the neighbourhood for as long as I have been living in the area. And that's around 15 years.
The family that runs the club also owns the building. So you know they aren't going anywhere.

Kieran was kinda shy at first but when the sensei spoke to him, he knew that he had to respond himself.  And when he got his Gi, he was pretty stoked.  No prodding needed here.  As I helped him get changed and put his belt on him, I could see the  excitedness as he headed up to the dojo to participate in the class.  I think it was good thing there was another boy his age that was starting his first day too.

I'm wondering if he was thinking that he would eventually learn how to bend water or air.

He said to me after the class "It was better than I expected."

Of course it is.  Center stage is always better than being in the stands.  Being a participant means you are doing something to change the world around you.  Being a bystander means you just watch the world go by.