.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

See Si

Whenever I need to get my eyes checked I always schedule Kieran's too.  Although he can go every year.  Seemed like it was just a little over a year since last eye exam, but it was 3 years.  Geez time is flying when you are struggling with everything.

The older you get the more crap you seem to have to keep up with.  It's like quicksand.

Kieran's always had very good vision.  His very first eye exam he had better than 20/20.
We kind of expected that he'd have good vision like Tresa.
So when he went for his eye exam, I didn't bother going into the examination room.  The OD asked if I was coming in.  I said "nah".  Besides it's small and dark and the lobby has a nice comfy bench and I had brought a book to read.

It wasn't long before she came out and said I needed to come in.  And she asked me when I had first gotten glasses.  I couldn't recall if it was Gr3 or Gr4 but I think it was Gr4 and my brother confirmed that.  To be honest I didn't think I really needed them at that age.  But soon i was needing to wear them all the time within 2 years.  And they weren't fashionable eyewear back then.  So my memories of my first pair of eye glasses weren't good ones.

I recall playing volleyball at gym and the ball smacked me in the face and one of my lenses popped out.  One of my friend's cried 'His eye came out!'  Luckily i had plastic frames and I could pop them in easily.  Or were they metal.  I d k.  they sucked for sports.  Can't see under water, they slip when you sweat, they fog up in the cold, even falling asleep.  It held me back and they were cumbersome.   Even when I got contacts I had to be mindful of them, especially swimming.  But contacts made a huge difference for me, felt like I could now be more aggressive playing sports, I could wear cool sun glasses.  Only downside was cleaning then and eye irritation when they got dirty and were starving my eyes of oxygen.  But still they were better.

Then Tresa came along and found me stylish eyewear that didn't make me look like the other 1.5 billion asians on the Spadina Bus.  My eyeglasses were always unique.  And they weren't cheap either.  I still have all of the glasses she's found for me.  I still wear 4 of them.  One of my favourites from Eye'DC broke.  We both have a pair.  Her's broke too.  They were so cool, but a bit fragile.

Anyways, she flat out says to me "He needs glasses."
I asked if it was screen time.
She said not really.  Much of it is genetic.  I checked the other kids in our family and many got them early and there were no tablets back then.

He'd never complained of not being able to see the board at school.   But he always sits close to the front except for 1 class.
His vision in the left eye is not bad.  The right eye was the poorer one.  He said he can see clearly if he shuts the right eye.   Maybe that's why his aim with a ball is so poor.
After we left the Eye Doctor's, i said 'glasses make you smarter anyways'.

I just picked up the 2 pairs (it was a deal and considering he just misplaced his tie) just in case he loses one or breaks one, he's got a back up.  He didn't even try them on after i got them.  It wasn't until I came home from hockey when I asked him if he tried them and he said no.

He put them on and went 'ooohhh'
So clear.