.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, September 20, 2004

Trial run

We went over to my brother and sister-in-law's place for dinner Sunday and they have a 16 month old daughter and a 32 month old son. My brother and sister-in-law know that Tresa is expecting. And they're happy for us. Mainly because they can't wait to torment our kid, like the way I've tormented every other baby in our family.

I don't see it as tormenting, I don't even know what they are talking about. I see it as treating the kids as little people (adults). And everyone knows I love kids. I always have, so how could I torment anything. It's a MYTH! How could I have been tormenting the kids if the kids keep coming back for more.

Anyways their son was passed out on the couch sleeping. And I didn't have any M&M's to shove up his nose. But then I thought, he'll wake up bawling his eyes out. It's not so much fun anymore once you're an adult but when you're a kid doing that to your sleeping cousin, it's a hoot. You see when some kid wakes up crying non-stop, it's hard on the ears, plus it's difficult to hear what you're watching on TV. So now I'm thinking of getting that box from Expressvue that can record programs, sort of like the TIVO that my cousin has in the US.

A week ago we had just spent 2 weeks with my cousin and her husband in NJ and their 5 month old baby. All in all it was pretty easy. He burped with no problem, after getting his fill, it was as easy as holding him up and within 2 breaths he belched like his mama. And farted like her too. Like a machine. We had it pretty easy, we didn't have to change him or bath him. We found it harder to get my cousin to go out for a walk. I think the tough thing with a new born, was trying to figure out what each cry meant. Sometimes he was hungry, thirsty, wet, tired or bored. It was a constant process of elimination. I can see that I'd better practice patience. Should be fun.

On Saturday evening we were with my wife's sister and brother-in-law with their son, Tresa's sister had called us over for an emergency. We had to help her move some big cabinet from Homesense into their home. They have a 3 year old son. For the most part he's really good. Pretty well behaved, but now he's in potty training mode. Not sure if anyone remembers this time of their lives but accidents happen and it stinks. Anyone ever think their going to fart and your body send some extra bonus items along. Well, you know how you know somethings wrong when this happens? Well some toddlers don't know what that extra weight is. I'll have to remember to put the plastic on the furniture, like some parents did.

So Sunday was the view into the future if there are two kids. Seems like a lot of work. Right now the baby's really quiet in Tresa's belly. At my brother's place, we had one kid screaming for no reason and the other screaming at the other to stop screaming. It was kind of funny. But I think reality was starting to sink in, cuz I was beginning to fall asleep.

That was the other thing on my mind. Sleep. I had just rode 63 km that morning with my buddy up in Caledon and it was beginning to catch up to me. I like sleep. Everyone tells me that sleep is a rare commodity in the first few months. I'm kinda scared. Excited but scared.

One thing I learned from my sister-in-law is that you have to lay down the law. No giving in to the wailing or screaming. They have to know where they've crossed the line. Cuz after the wailing and screaming came the crying for forgiveness like they were going to be thrown to the wolves as food. All I could hear was "I'm sorry mommy!" when he was being taken up to his room. I'll have to remember this line to get them to stop crying - "you only cry when you're hurt or in pain"

We've got a long ways to go, but I think the time will fly. Oh god help me.