.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm seeing stars

I went to Sporting Life in Sherway yesterday. I try to park in the parking lot next to the service area of Sporting Life. I was picking up a Thule Cascade cargo box that was on sale. It's last years model and discontinued now. It's the last one the company had in stock. So it was a great deal.

I park the car and some film crew dude comes over and says I can't park there. That they've rented the entire parking lot. So I move my car and park it in the next lot. I walk to the entrance of Sporting Life and I see Kiefer Sutherland, and Michael Douglas. The film crew people block me from going in that door. It's starting to rain, and this is the second time I've gone to a Sporting Life store and I'm about to get drenched by a downpour. I headed around the other side to the mall entrance of the store. I see about 30 SWAT officers. I thought they were going to make me turn around and fall on the ground with my hands behind my back. Like in "World's Greatest Police chases". Should I run and get on TV? But I think they were all actors.

So I try to walk in the store. A film crew person stops me and says this entrance is closed. No option or anything. I tell her to move aside and get a real job. Just kidding. I needed to vent there. I said that I had something on hold and needed to pick it up. A police officer said I can take the escalator to the second floor.

I go up there and I can't get to the section of the store where my item was held anyways. No one was allowed to the main floor to shop or anything. Because they were filming a scene. So I got a hold of a store employee and tell him my situation. They bring me the wrong item at first. Then I spoke to the store manager and they bring me down to the main floor. I get to see first hand. Kiefer, Michael and Eva Longoria's (Desperate Housewives) stunt double go through a rehearsal. Then the real stars came in. But before they actually do the scene. Catherine Zeta Jones walks through the store onto the set. Wow! These guys get paid so much to do almost nothing. That's entertainment. And Michael Douglas made a funny remark to us watching in the background - "And you thought it was all sunglasses and autographs."

The scene was probably about 2 minutes. If that. And I waited about 2 hours to find out I couldn't have my cargo box, because it was in the scene and they were coming back the next morning. WTF! #*%#@*%$! Bleep BLEEP! BLEEP.
I actually didn't get angry or upset. But it was fun walking around and security guys going to me - "hey who are you and what are you doing here?" I had every right to be there. Didn't they know who I was? Well I'm nobody, just an average Pedro Garcia (Philippine equivalent of John Smith), but I was there for a reason. And it wasn't for the celebrities.

So in the end I went home empty handed, but the manager was nice enough to let me know that they'd compensate me for being a good customer. Not sure what that will be. But it was a nice gesture.

See it pays to be nice and not a whiner. Although whining and complaining sometimes works. But it could be something cheap and crappy too. So you never know. It's just nice to be appreciated.

BTW, they were filming the movie - The Sentinel. Isn't that a dog flea collar? Maybe it was a commercial.