.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Lifesaver


This is my helmet after the crash. I took a pic of my face too the day after the accident as well. Nie had a photo of me in the E.R. but she accidentally deleted it from her camera phone. Guess it was meant that way. Don't think I'll be posting my photo up for a while. Not until the mental scars of the accident are gone.

Mel said that I looked like I'd been in a fight like a boxer. I had cuts on my forehead and cheeks. You could see the outline of my Oakley M-Frames embossed into my face. That's what Nie's Ray said anyways. My upper lip was swollen, cheeks were puffy. I felt like I was squinting for a while. My nasal passages felt stuffy. From all the swelling.

So my helmet actually looks pretty good. But if you look towards the front of the helmet it's got a dent. Unless you're looking at it in real life you may not be able to see it. But this is one of those single use things. The helmet is designed to absorb the hit at the point of impact and spread it out throughout the rest of the helmet. So it could look good afterwards, but it's useless now.

I just wanted to say thanks to my family and friends that called to see if I was okay. I'm feeling a bit better now. I was in and out of sleep all week. It was really uncomfortable for a few days. I wasn't in any hurry to see people or to go out in public. The swelling has come down in my face and the numbness in my upper lip is almost gone. My neck and upper back are still sore but tht's to be expected, and I'm finding some pains are starting to creep in that weren't there originally - like in the right side of my jaw. And sometimes I find when I swallow something hard like a piece of fruit it hurts. But the cuts are healing and hopefully the memory of the accident will heal too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard from Gjouche about what happened. Man that sounds like a wicked crash. Glad to hear you're alright. You can alway make up some war story or a fight story about how you got your scars. Like, you were ambushed by 4 guys and they ended up looking worst than you afterwards....

P

Tue Jul 05, 10:39:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment