.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Mugshot

Here it is. I had requests about this photo, mostly from guys. Actually ALL from guys. They were saying that I was lucky I wasn't a girl and besides a scar adds character, like NHL hockey players. You know who I'm quoting here. It's the com-forter dude.
I didn't think I'd be posting this up so soon. But here it is.
Moe, Larry and Curly.

So from left to right. Me on day after the accident. And I wasn't holding my breath. I found out on Monday on the follow up appointment at St Mikes that the CT scan showed fractures on my cheeks as well as my broken bridge. That's why I was so swollen and felt all congested. My upper lip was really swollen and it was tough to eat for a few days. Can you see the outline of my Oakley Pro-M frame sunglasses?

The middle one is one week (the following monday) after crash. Just before the follow up. I thought they were going to take the stitches out and I was nervous it was going to hurt, but it was still oozing guck. So the doctor cleaned me up a bit and said to come back next Monday morning to get them out. They used peroxide to clean me up and it stung.

The last one is from this afternoon. My upper lip is still numb right on the tip. The doctor said that there are two nerves that run from my under my eye and across my cheek to the tip of my lip. And that they were probably bruised from the collision of my face and the the mini-van. He said it would go away in a few months. I haven't shaved yet because of all the little cuts from the glass. I was a little afraid that I'd be getting the blades caught on the scabs and pulling off skin.

So here it is. It's not as bad as I was anticipating, but still if you talk to Tresa or my sister, they were there in the ER with me, and so was Kieran, but he may not recall in detail and he only speaks baby babble. Anyways they said it wasn't pretty. Especially when I held my nose and blew bloody bubbles from the gash on top of my nose. I'm glad I didn't see it.

I'm still sore in my upper back but I'm mobile, and I still get groggy, especially in the mornings. The A/C kind of makes my face swell and then I feel congested. And I still feel pressure at times on the top of my head on the right. And tilting my head back is a little painful. Sleeping is sometimes tough. When I sleep on my side I can feel the weight on my nose. So I sleep on my back, which bothers my back. I get scared sometimes when I have to sneeze. I'm not sure if I'll blow my nose off with the force. It's sore when I scrunch up my nose too. So I try not to do that. But other than that. I feel pretty good.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see you are in better spirits. It will be a great story to tell your son when he gets older since you are luckily alive to tell it.

Don't worry about the scar. It is no big deal. To quote my favorite band Poi Dog Pondering, "You should wear with pride the scars on your skin, to remember the adventures and the places you've been."

-Chris

Wed Jul 06, 09:35:00 AM EDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look good! Thank God it wasn't any worse. Guess your mom was looking out for you, just as she always did. And don't worry. You'll feel like your old self in no time which means you'll be harassing my a** again. :)

-T

Wed Jul 06, 11:42:00 AM EDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ray - relieved to hear and see that you are recovering well - scary to read about your accident! Close call, indeed!

Mon Jul 11, 11:41:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment