.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, May 07, 2007

Pop, pop, pop..... OWCH!

I was playing Raptors inspired basketball and then did a Jose Calderone and turned my ankle.

I heard 3 pops, and Mel heard one pop. Good thing I didn't hear Snap or Crackle.

I thought I had broken my ankle. I was in agony, but more freaked out and scared from what I had heard when I came down on my left foot awkwardly going for a rebound.

I went to see a physiotherapist the next day and it's already feeling better. One thing I've learned from all my years of sports injuries is that the physiotherapist is your best friend. They can do wonders with the ultrasound and inference machines.


The sooner you can see a physiotherapist after an injury the quicker you'll recover and reduce the risk of having a chronic injury. This lesson I learned after a shoulder injury while mountain biking. I didn't get it looked at for 9 months, it then took about about 12-18 months for the shoulder to be back to the way it was before. This was because there was so much scar tissue in my left shoulder from constantly re-injuring it. Not by mountain biking again but by not getting rid of the scar tissue after the initial injury. Since the scar tissue is the weak link. It was constantly being torn and more scarring on top of the old. Every time I worked out and felt a pain in my left shoulder, I had re-injured it. More scarring.

So the moral of the story for you folks that studied Psych and Sports Med is to go see your physiotherapist right away after an injury.

The next steps for me was Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevate the hand with the beer.
And book a few more appointments and it should be better.

Blogger M said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue May 08, 09:13:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger M said...

OW!! Hope you ankle heals fast!

Tue May 08, 09:13:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment