.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mittens on the monkey bars

Yep it was after swimming lessons and Kieran did a length of the pool.  I was excited to see him make it all the way across the length of the pool without a floatation device for the first time.  To him it wasn't a big deal.  To me it was like his first steps ever.
And afterwards we hit the monkey bars outside the rec center.  This was the usual drill for us every week.
It was cold, and he was still slightly damp, but hands exposed to cold and cold metal.  Make hands more cold.


Well I said if you try to go on the monkey bars with your mitts, you'll slip.
Guess what happened next.
He tried and slipped, but I didn't expect him to fall the way he did, but when reviewing the motion in my mind's eye several times, I can see how the momentum swung his feet out, with his grasp point being the pivot and when that pivot moved, his feet were like the weight on a pendulum and if you cut the pendulum string at the top as the weight swung out.  It would fall similar to how Kieran fell.
And he tried to brace his fall with his right hand.
He cried, tears fell, but he wasn't screaming.  This kid seems to have a high tolerance for pain.  Must be genetic.

Because my right hand.  I have an appointment to go to the doctor to check it out.  But that bump was never there before this last bike accident I had on Aug-17, where I was riding back on the Don trails and went over my handlebars on my bike.  I scraped my knees, and my elbows, but I never noticed anything wrong with my hand except that it hurt a bit.  The next day I could not clench a fist.  And it was very swollen.  I was trying to remember how I landed.  I remember the bike above me, but I could not visualize my right hand impact on the ground.  So now that the swelling is down.  There is a bump that was never there before.

I checked for fracture, and he didn't complain of pain when I squeezed the bone in various places.  And I moved his hand this way and that.  It looked like he jammed his wrist.
I gave him some ice to wrap around it and a popsicle and dinner and Pokemon Sinnoh League Victors show, and he seemed a bit better.  I told him that he will probably feel sore for the next few days.
Well that pain came at 11:30pm that night.
So off we went to St. Joe's.  We should get frequent visit points for this place.  I've been there many times with him and myself for several incidents.

X-rays revealed a buckle fracture to his wrist.  The bump was very noticeable.
So they put on a gel cast and we were given a requisition for the fracture clinic and by 2:24am we were home again and the gel cast was already set and firm.

And 3-1/2 hours later we were up again to get first in line at the fracture clinic.



Moral of the story, mittens on the monkey bars don't mix.
So by 9:30am he was home again. With a new blue cast and a cinnamon raisin bagel and a hot chocolate.



This is the same arm that he's dislocated 3 or 4 times.  And hurt it at daycare playing with the other kids.
I think I tossed out the old cast.  But I have photos.
This is cast #2.