.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fusible Link

The guy at the parts the Subaru Parts desk said he hadn't ordered one of these in 7 or 8 years.  They are very rare.  Lucky me.  I had to order it because they don't stock it.
It's a fusible link.  Sounds like what happens when you get a back operation.  Apparently it's not common any more.  Probably due to more and more electronics being built into cars these days.  A lot has changed since I bought this 1998 Subaru  Legacy.

I had accidentally left my keys in my car for a few hours and left the lights on.  So my battery had drained.

I tried boosting it the next morning.  And noticed a small whiff of smoke coming from the main fuse box.  Went to start the car and nothing.  No starter turning or anything.  I was worried I was in for a big service bill to get it fixed.  Maybe I needed a new starter?

A little while later, Sam came by, then Gus, who used to work on Subarus.  They helped me out.  Sam checked my battery with a tester and he said it was good.  Odd.  Some electronics were working in the car, so that made sense.  Then I mentioned the smoke and opened the Main Fuse box in the engine compartment and there was this burnt out wire.  I didn't know at the time it was a fuse.

Sam made me a by-pass just to get me going.  But Gus said I needed a new fuse.  He even showed me on the back of the fuse box panel what amperage.
Learn something all the time.  They probably saved me towing and service charges.
This was a $7.00 part.
We have amazing neighbours.  It was my lucky day.