.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, August 19, 2011

Gone Fishing

It was a sunny and beautiful day to go fishing.
With rod in hand and a scowl on his face.
The only camp Kieran has asked to be put in, was a fishing camp. So here we are. Fishing. At Camp Kranjec. I normally don't go with Kieran, since he goes with Dedek. It grosses me out putting the worm on the hook. Let alone holding the fish and pulling the hook out. When I would fish with Tresa's dad, I don't think I caught anything. I didn't want to touch the fish.
But Dedek was not around today, and so I faced my unwillingness to torture other living things in the face, just so that my son can fish. So I wore my thick rubber work gloves and brought a pair of pruning shears, so I can cut the worms in half. Unlike Dedek who does it with his hands. I bet he can snap the neck of a chicken without blinking. The guy grew up on a farm. It's either the livestock or starve.

In any case, you know what's gross. Even after cutting the worm in half, both halves were squirming still. Yuck. Luckily I only had to cut 2 worms. When Kieran catches a fish the worm is mostly intact. Luckily for me. Because it makes my skin crawl putting the worm on the hook. Cause you can't just stab it and let it hang. The fish just eat the worm and don't ingest the hook. In any case I got used to it. Sort of.

So here we are. Fishing. While I was untangling the basket he made with his fishing rod, Kieran got the boat together. Bucket of water for the fish that he catches, seat backs for the paddle boat, worms, and a rod for me just in case I wanted to fish. Good stuff.
Not sure if you can see, but there's a fish just beneath the surface of the water.
It's mostly small mouth bass, or rock bass. But Kieran caught a pumkinseed fish or a common sunfish. They typically live together with the bass that is more predominant.

This is Toady.
Kieran caught this little guy. I was surprised he would touch this thing and not the fish. But Tresa told me he held the fish the other day. He also told me he would put the worm on the hook if he knew how to do it. I'll let Dedek teach him how to do that.

As for the little froggers, there were tons of them on the grass in the shady areas. We caught about 6 of them and made an island in a bucket. But Toady got away.

Click me for fish photos






Blogger Easy said...

Bravo Kieran!

Sun Aug 21, 03:19:00 PM EDT

 
Blogger Easy said...

Bravo Kieran!

Sun Aug 21, 03:20:00 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment