.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, May 29, 2011

C3 Kids of Steel - Caledon

It was race day!
This was the largest Kids triathlon in Canada.
It's been raining recently and I was praying that the rain hold off until after.
And it did. Conditions were ideal for a race. Too bad I wasn't in better form, but I was happy with my finish. I felt good and my hamstring wasn't bothering me.
It feels like I can continue running and re-building my base again.

I think I was 2nd last out of the water in my heat (8 people per heat). I was with this large but really nice guy in the lane. So for the whole swim I pretty much swam in his wake and let him pull me along. I had only swam once before this race. So I wasn't going to try to over take him in the water. What for? The race isn't won in the water anyways. So onto the transition where I struggled with my shirt because I had forgotten my race strap for my bib # and i had to pin it on my shirt and was trying not to rip it off. I was glad one of the other racers helped me with my shirt. Not supposed to but it's a friendly race. And I find triathletes are super friendly bunch. Unlike pure cyclists who turn their nose up if you ride with SPD's on your road bike.

I was able to catch people on the bike (I know I caught 1 guy from my heat on the bike) and on the run I caught another guy in my heat and another lady from the heat before mine. It felt pretty good.

Now on to the more important race. Kieran's.
I rushed back to my sister's to get him ready for the race.
I already had his bib #, so all we needed to do was to get his number written on his arm and leg, and get him set up in the transition area.

This was both our first time doing this venue.
It was surprisingly short, but was exciting enough. It was really amazing to see Kieran's eyes and face light up as he ran toward the finish. It made all the effort of getting our stuff together worth it. And there's mama with her swollen foot and crutches and all cheering her star on.
He caught that little kid right at the finish line.
Instead of giving the kids loot bags, there was a box of dinosaurs and loot bag stuff in it, it was brilliant.
Forget the medal man. That box had 20 kids rifling through it looking for treasure!
And the line up for the clown making balloons was longer than the food line.

This was a very well run event. Everything was one time and on schedule. This is the largest KIDS triathlon in Canada. There were 5 times more kids in the 3-6 yr old category than the adults alone. Kudos to the C3 event volunteers. And Barrie Shepley. For those that don't know. He was/is the triathlon coach of Canada. He was there in 2000 in Sydney when Simon Whitfield won gold.
So this event is a grassroots level event to get kids into triathlons and have fun doing it.
I know we did.


We even made it to Samatha's birthday party. I didn't think we would, but he managed to play there for almost an hour. He was sweating more from this place than from his race.
And we got some much needed pizza and drinks too.
Thanks Shaun and Michelle. It was so good when I used the oven to warm it up instead of the microwave.

He was pretty wiped by the time we got home.
And I was a pretty tired too.
Next year, we all might do this.

Click me for more photos







Swim 400m, Bike 15 Km, Run 5 Km

Place: 13
Bib: 316
Name: Raymond Garces
Total Time: 1:11:24
Class placing: TM40-49 5/8
Swim
place: 16
time: 9:30
pace/100m: 2:23

T1 + Bike + T2
place: 14
time: 37:14
speed Km/h: 24.2

Run
place: 12
time: 24:41
pace/Km: 4:57