.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, May 23, 2011

Last stairwell to basement

Well, I finally got to the basement stairwell. I was going to do this last year, but I was too tired.
But since we were gutting the basement and we had the bin.
I might as well get the demolition going. So I got 'er done today.
I was debating on doing this or not. Mostly because I wasn't sure what to do about the foundation section that's halfway down the stairs. It's not like a regular wall. It's solid. But the stairwell has always been freezing in the winter. You can feel it when you walk down to the basement. The main floor stairwell is much better now since I did the insulation last year. So the basement was a must.

I was hoping to get the garden all de-weeded and prepped for Ola to plant some cucumbers, but there's just not enough hours in the day to do it all. But I'm happy that all I got it all down. The basement stairs are different from the main floor stairwell. Since the gyprock and plaster stopped at the foundation. Below that, it's just solid. So I'm going to have to insulate that differently.



I'm thinking that I'll have to get the EPS and just attach it to the wall. And above the foundation, I can do what I'd been doing before. Should be ok. I'll have to research it for I begin doing it. I just wanna be done in a few weekends. Hopefully I can be done before July 1st. Not sure if that will happen. But I will try.


The bin is going to be picked up tomorrow, and it's full.
Atul came by and dumped some cardboard and some stones from his front garden project.

Raoul came by and dumped some junk from his backyard.
Kevin dumped his boxspring.
And Gino jumped in my bin and teefed my copper pipe and I noticed he snipped off the connections from the faucet I dumped. Ah that's ok. Reuse is one of the 3 R's. He coulda asked, I would've let him have it. So he could ride his bike to the metal scrap yard.

The bin is pretty full.
It's 99.00 per ton (2200lbs) which seems like a lot of weight. I'm hoping this isn't more than that. I had the bin a 3/4 with just my stuff, so hoping the additional stuff plus the rain water doesn't add a whole lot more.

I'll find out in a few days. This week is a short week!
Time for a beer. It's the Victoria Day weekend!






Click for more photos, this is the same link as the previous post