.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gotta Eat Here! TO

BakerBots Baking bakery.  That's a mouthful, eh?  Say that 5 times real fast with a Red Velvet cupcake in your mouth.

This is Tresa's friend Rosanne's place.
Best cupcakes around. IMHO.
Secret recipe handed down from her grandmother.  Guarded by a dog that's never had shots.

Her wares change all the time, so don't ask me what to get, because it's all good.  See those tarts Tresa is looking at.  I tried them all.  Right to my belly.  And it was glad.  We had two reasons to see her.  One was that we were invited for brunch and you can go in with your knife and fork.  You need to bring something.  So we got some Red Velvet and that flan tart on the right. And some other stuff.  The other reason is Kieran said he wanted to be a baker.  So we visited a baker who happens to own a shop.

Located right beside Ossington Stn on the Delaware side.
This is the Google street view of the shop and it's out of date.  It's also incorrect.  It's the unit beside the tag, the one with the awning.

Across from the Serbian church. You'll hear the gutteral sounds of the patrons leaving the church.  That's how you know your close to the bakery.




Dr. Laffa.  Near Steeles and Dufferin.
We saw this place on the show and it looked real good.  So we headed up there a few weeks ago when it dumped snow.  We had already planned on going and have a Subaru AWD with snow tires meant...no excuses! It's in the middle of an industrial area, and the Google street view shows something else, but it's correct.  It's down the road behind the Home Depot.
The food was pretty good.  It's all kosher.  So no pork.
I asked about what kind of meat was in the shwarma? Beef, chicken, pork?  The waitress laughed...there's no pork here. Oops!  I thought they'd throw the Torah at me.  I had always thought it was because pigs are considered dirty. But I Googled it.  and this is what I found.

Pork is seen as the ultimate "non-kosher" animal. The Torah considers an animal kosher if it both chews its cud AND has split hooves. The only animal species that has split hooves (trotters) and does not chew the cud is the pig family.

The food was pretty good. I forget what I had, but it was good.
The condiments are pickled stuff. And the mains just come with rice or fries.
The Laffa bread is great.  We got one to take home.
The kebabs are juicy.  Not the usual dried out ones u get from most places.
Too bad it's kinda out of the way.

They are also not open on Saturday.  Some religious thing too.  But they are open on Sunday.  Late.

The Burger's Priest.  We saw this on the show too.  I was in the area since I had just done our income tax and thought hey... it's lunch time.  What was that burger joint around here?  I knew the rough location.  So I drove around til I could remember the name.

Named Burger's Priest because the guy who owns it and is the head chef, went to a Seminary.  So he was on  his way to becoming a priest.

I think the Google Car drivers ate here because Google maps takes you right into the shop.
There's no place to sit an eat.  It's basically a take out joint.

But eat your stuff ASAP.  Because the burgers are all double patties, with the exception of the cheeseburger.
The Option is the veggie version.  I got that for Tresa.  I wished I'd got that too.  I'm not used to eating so much meat now a days.  I figured I'd start my veggie diet on Good Friday.
I'd order the Option myself, but I wanted to try the regular stuff, so I had the High Priest.  And Tresa didn't share hers with me.  Damit!

The burgers are real juicy.  So the bun gets soggy if you don't eat right away.  Made from real ground beef that they form into a ball.  It's not one of those frozen pattie, filled with filler, cleaned with ammonia crap.  It's the real deal.

Located on the north side of Queen St E and Kingston Rd.  I missed it the first time and was almost at Dangerous Dan's.  That's the other killer burger place that was on You Gotta Eat Here!
But I'd need a coronary.


Cheese Boutique.  Swansea area, just off of the S. Kingsway just north of the Queensway.

I had never been to this place when it was in the Bloor West Village.  So finally, we went.  And I could eat everything in that store.  I'd go broke.  But it is so good.

And they don't just have cheese.  We could have had lunch just sampling stuff.  The pizza is by the 100gm...just so you know.