.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Yellow Day

About a month ago, Kieran got a note that he was to go for his first belt grading.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I was excited for him, and he was had been saying that Sensei was telling him that he was making progress and he was close to achieving his yellow belt. He was excited too.

I had been through Karate grading myself, but I wasn't sure what to expect at this club. It was a muggy day.  I'd never actually been in the dojo. It is a lot larger than I thought.


And Kieran was anxious and excited. I like this club. They don't tolerate silliness. Neither can we, but everyone including myself knows I am a catalyst when it comes to silliness. But at the club there is a code of conduct that comes with being a member of the High Park Martial Arts club.  And that code extends outside the club - to the home, working hard at school and in the neighbourhood, respecting everyone and everything and yourself.

For his grading the parents had to also evaluate their child on behaviour at home.  I thought that was so good.  Karate is a not just exercise, it's a discipline. It's about representing the club in a good way, bringing honour to the club, dishonour it and you will get the boot.  I have witnessed that first hand. No it wasn't me.  It was some other kid that used his skills in a fight at some club.

He didn't get his belt the day of the grading.  Not sure why.  I recall I got mine grading day.  But when I picked him up after class today, he received his Yellow Belt.   He said it was hard to put on because it was so stiff.  And the other students clapped when he got it.  I could see the pride on his face.
And he hung up his Gi displaying his two belts.

Regardless of the overcast skies, threatening to thunder. It was a sunny yellow day.