.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, April 18, 2016

All we are is dust in the fridge

After I moved our 2002 Kenmore fridge into the garage back in October, it decided to stop chilling our food stuffs.  I thought it was just upset because it was being kicked out of the house and into the garage.

It was probably a good thing that it was late fall when our kitchen came in cuz the cold weather was keeping our leftovers from becoming petrie dishes.  In fact the insulation of the fridge was making it warmer inside than outside.

But now that spring is really here and not pulling our leg, I was able to reclaim space in our garage to finally move around.  Those benches I made for our kitchen have been reused as storage and it is fantastic!  I can finally get to our chairs so much easier now and our ladder so I can get to the storage above.  Before I'd be doing some Indiana Jones type teetering on something to get to stuff we had up there.

I can also get to our bikes and I can keep my bike stand open and work in the garage on our bikes instead of out side.  And if something drops on the floor I can find it.  Before it would drop, hit some cardboard and I could not tell where it went.  It was so frustrating.

We still had cardboard from our tub and other large boxes.  I could have put it out on the curb for recycle day, but it was just under the 20kg limit so I took it the depot.  It's so awesome to purge.  It feels amazing.

This weekend I was finally able to have the room to pull out the fridge and take a closer look at what was bothering its chilling internals.  Like it's not that complicated.  There's a compressor and there are coils for heat exchange and a fan motor to move the air for heat exchange.  I didn't want to toss it into the landfill.   We wanted to use it as an overflow for our new fridge.

So what I found was dust.  We've vacuumed our fridge in the past, from the front, but after all the demolition and construction and drywall dust.  I didn't just find dust.  It was like fur. You couldn't even see the coils.  And there was no way the fan could even turn. I had to use the compressor to loosen it up so i could vacuum it.

Afterwards though, was the moment of truth when I plugged it in.  And I could hear the hum of the fan going.

Yea! It was alive and kicking.
time to stock the beer fridge!