.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, November 20, 2017

That's a Steel Nipple

Sorry it's not Superman's chest part, but it's actually a steel nipple with a cap.  No one asks the question about what that thing is sticking out of the wall directly above the stove anymore.  But it was asked a few times when we first finished the reno.  Someone thought it was a gas pipe.

Don't ask me why a section of pipe threaded on either end is called a nipple.  I learned this terminology years ago when I worked installing sprinkler systems.

I put this in because we didn't have the backsplash selected.
It was meant to be temporary until Tresa figured out what she wanted.
I thought I'd be taking it out and installing the faucet within 6-12 months.
It's now 2 years later.

I was interested in knowing if the faucet worked or not.  And putting it to use.  I saw later that evening that Tresa was making pasta.  I asked her if she used the faucet.  She said 'no, I forgot'.  Why'd we design for this thing in the first place?

It had been sitting in the basement for 2 years, and I didn't want it to be misplaced some where and then we'd be turning the house upside down trying to recall where we shoved it for safe keeping.

That happens quite often.
We put it somewhere so safe, that we can't remember where we put it.

It was quite easy to install.  I had watched a youtube video of a professional install and it seemed like I needed a special wrench that wouldn't scratch the faucet, but I ended up not needing anything special.

I needed a 2-1/2" brass nipple, teflon tape, and 3 wrenches. I was glad there was 2 flat spots that I can get a wrench on and thread the nipple into it., then use faucet to thread into the elbow fitting that's sitting in the wall.


It's a fluke that it's entered above the stove.
I put that there way before the kitchen was designed.
When I did all the work inside the walls, I put it in the centre of that wall, and high enough above the stove such that our tallest pot would be a few inches below the faucet.

It works.  And it looks like the Canadarm. woohoo.
And best of all...no more exposed nipple.