.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, October 20, 2023

Light up my laneway

This light is a survivor.  It's the very last light fixture inside and outside our home to be replaced.  It not like it was broken or anything like that.  It worked.  And it wasn't that I didn't like the way it looked.  Well I didn't.  But it was the fact that I wanted more light in the laneway as we parked the car at the back.  It sort of gives off this dim glow everywhere.

Over the last few years my night vision has degraded and I blame this light.  This is what happens when you get past a certain age, and screen time make it happen sooner.

Well we finally got a T-approved outside light fixture about 20yrs after we replaced the porch light.  I can't even remember what that light looked like.   I just checked back like 21 years and it was something like this except only 1 and it was full of dead bugs, sometimes live bugs.

Now all the exterior lights have been replaced. It only took almost 20yrs.

It's finally off the house and disconnected and has been replaced with something else.  It was the end of the globe for this builders special.


The search for an exterior light is not easy in this house.  Things remain the same for a long time in this house before it's been given the boot to the bin.  Usually there's progress, then it stalls for years.  

I went on an exhaustive search for a replacement.  After a while I give up.  But if I get close I resume the search.  But it has always come up fruitless and that globe light keeps shining year after year.

Home Depot, Rona, Lowe's, Wayfair, Amazon....you name it, I searched.   But the thing is, our lights almost never come from a place that everyone goes to.  We always seem to find it in some obscure shop.  And it has to be designer grade.

And this is a company we have purchased from before.  So we knew the quality would be good.  Now it was just a matter of getting the right colour palate that would get approved so I can swipe that visa.  I was thankful I found the combination of size, colour and also inside shade colour that was going to get a thumbs up.

I figure if I need more light. I'll put in a brighter bulb.  The build of the light is steel and feels solid.  You know how some have this cheap, made in China tinny feel.  This one is not like that at all.  The finish is super.  And the mounting is precise and firm. 

It's very nice looking, both in the afternoon overcast light against the red brick and at night when it's lit up.


The way it lights up the doorway, it gives off this certain ambiance.  It's hard to describe. The light is not harsh although it is the same bulb as in the globe, but it gives the laneway a 1950's Chicago movie vibe.

As long as it brightens my laneway.