.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Spare Parts

It may look okay but the bike is toast. Well the fork is bent and the frame is also bent. Right in a critical area. The steering tube is bent right where the bearing race is. So it's been comprimised and unsafe. Well that's what I thought and the bike mechanics at Sporting Life said the same thing.
You can see here how the fork bent back from the impact. Funny thing is the front wheel is perfect but the rear wheel is bent to hell. I'm not sure how I looked as I was smashing into the back end of that minivan. And believe me I imagine it quite often. I now know what goes through a bugs head when it hits a windshield. You guys have heard that joke, eh? It's his ass. Anyways, I think the rear wheel must have smacked the ground on the recoil as I hit the rear of the van and warped it. I just had the wheel trued too. I broke a spoke as I was riding home one day and I still had a long way to go and I guess it bent it really bad. Damn it.

So I owe Tresa a new bike. It was her bike I smashed. It's going to cost almost as much to replace the broken parts versus buying a brand new one. This was a gift from me on our second anniversary. She didn't care too much about it. She was just glad I was going to be ok. And she was concerned about my nose. She wanted to make sure it was functioning properly and I could breathe okay.

Well so far so good. It's healing okay, my upper back is sore today and the scar is there. But that's to be expected. I'm getting used to looking at my mug in the mirror. I've got the 60 SPF sunblock, the vitamin E and the scar pads. They said it'll take a year before the scar levels off with the surrounding skin. We'll see in a year.