.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hello, crackle, pop, crackle, hello?

Hissssss, crackle, pop, crackle. I can't hear you. Hisss, crackle.

Ever since Kieran's birthday, our phone line has been staticy and our internet has been up and down ever since.



Q: How many Bell service repair calls does it take to resolve static on the line?
A: It takes three Bell service guys to come by the house. The first two are jokers.

Repair guy #1 was the phantom dude that came to the house 1 day late and left a note on our door indicating that the problem was fixed.
This is what the note said: "Problem is fixed"
hmm... I found it very informative and to the point.
I'm gonna find the yellow slip of paper with this guys name and badge number that he left on our door and have Bell feed it to him up the poop shute and see how he likes it. No lube.

I picked up the line and what did I hear: Crackle, pop, hiss, crackle. Sounds like someone was eating rice crispies with bits of snake.

So I call bell again and got someone to come back and check our line. This time inside the house. I was persuaded to buy into the maintenance fee / month in case there was a problem with the wiring inside the house.

So the second guy came on the Friday and he shows up at end of the day when I'm out. They must wait around the corner, until they see me leave and then show up.

So he comes in the house, points out to Tresa that the wires outside are really old, but doesn't bother to do anything about it and then comes in the house and says the ground on the inside wires is a problem, so he rewires things and then checks our phone and there's still static and says that it's our phones. But just before he showed up, Tresa had checked our phone at our next door neighbours house and it was crystal clear. But his big clunky orange battle ready phone was clear.

And to top it off, the guy doesn't even bother to put the demarc back the way he found it. What the f@($!
So I call Bell again. And complain, every time there's static, I call. I tell them that I've ruled out the phones and don't want the phone care insurance and the steps I've done to arrive at that conclusion.
Then a filipino brother in the form of a Bell repair guy comes to save the day. As soon as he sees our overhead wires he points out the problem. There were splices in our line and after he cut the wires to replace them he came to me to show me where the wires had been comprimised. So every time it got windy and rainy and cold. It was getting into our phone line.

Then he came into our house and took a look at our demarc, and pointed out that the wires weren't even properly grounded! So the last guy screwed it up even more. So if lightning were to strike the pole outside it would have zapped our phone. Then the phone care insurance would have been handy. Pretty sneaky eh?
He didn't leave a badge number, but you can count on me trying to find out who this joker was to make sure that he gets a big boot to the head.

Bell should be thanking this Flip guy for saving me as a Bell customer. He basically prevented me from cancelling everything with Bell and going somewhere else.

But you know what? All the providers are crap.