.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, June 22, 2009

Ride on Father's day

It was father's day and we were heading to Oshawa to hang out with Dedek and Baka. And mow their lawn and some other heavy stuff until he gets his strength back. I asked if I could ride my bike a few days before and Tresa said 'ok'. I thought she'd say no.
WOO HOO! So I planned out my route. Trying to avoid the busy roads as much as possible.



View google map

It's not the distance. I've done this distance many times before, but the roads would be busy with cars. I'd be taking a route through the city and crossing under the 401 (which is the halfway point).

It was a perfect day. Not too warm, but there was a headwind I was battling almost the entire way.
I had my camel back so I had enough water and I had some left over power gel packs so I had food to get me there. The only thing I was worried about were the drivers in Scarborough. There's lots of Asians in Scarborough. You know what they say - "Asian drivers, no survivors." But they all drive Honda Civics, so there's plenty of room in the lanes.
Once I got past Scarborough it was easier sailing. It's like crossing over the border with lots of undeclared stuff. Now the only thing I had to contend with were all the large GM pickup trucks and SUVs.

It was pretty flat until I got to Harwood and Rossland, then it was rolling hills from there till I got to the Kranjec's. I took a little food break before I tackled the last leg to my destination.

So I made it . In 2hrs 39mins. Dist: 67.8km. Avg: 25km/h

I felt pretty good. More relieved than anything. When I got there Tresa's parents gave me a beer and some puticsa. Then the bar-b-que was fired up and they cooked these massive steaks and ribs, it was a meat lovers dream.
That was the main reason I wanted to ride. I needed to get my body ready to eat. And I was ready to eat. I ate everything they gave me. Plus Kieran's leftovers. It's what I have to do to not waste food.

The one other reason I wanted to do it was to say I did it. Not sure if I would do it again because of the traffic. I left a little late in the morning (around 8:40am, I arrived at 11:20am). Maybe it would be a lot better. Less cars.

It was a great father's day. I got to ride, I got to eat, I even got to nap. And the weather was beautiful.

I need a shave and a hair cut.

Click for more photos