.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

A little water never hurt anyone

Isn't it bike to work week?
It was a rainy day. It's 20 deg C and pouring.
At least it's been warm. I had to do an errand and it figures it's nice outside until I have to venture downtown.

It usually takes me about 30-40 mins to get down to King and University. To pick up my package. So I leave with about 70 mins to get to my destination before it closes. Plenty of time. Even with the rain slowing me down.

I am heading east on Annette and my rear wheel feels odd.
I look down and it's flat. I'm virtually riding on the rim. Great.
I get off my bike and call Tresa to meet me and bring my pump.
I replace the inner tube and I find a sharp stone has pierced the rear tire causing a slow leak on my rear wheel.

I replace the tire and by the time Tresa gets to me at Annette PS, I'm ready for the pump and lickety split Barbatrick. I'm back on the road.

I should have pumped up my front tire too though. Dang it.
Anyways it's not flat and just low on air. But good enough.

I got there with 12 mins to spare. It took me 30 mins from where I was. Even with the rain and even with the flat.

Me and my wet cycling shoes and clipless pedals.
Can't ride without them.
They are the best things once you get used to them.
Your feet are secure and won't slip off the pedals when they're wet and ring your shin like a gong. And once you get use to clicking in and out. It's second nature. And you'll wonder how you ever rode with out them.

I was back home an hour and 30 mins after I left. Pretty good time. Considering what happened. If I had driven it probably would've taken me an hour to get downtown.

And then getting out of downtown by car in the rain is worse. I motored across Lakeshore from Bathurst. It wasn't too windy just rainy. I was wet but it's better than frustrated in traffic. And I saw a lot of other cyclists today too. It's only water.

Ride your bike. You'll be glad you did.

Blogger Easy said...

Something for you Ray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpy4xNAnWzM
Greetings from Slovenia, easy nad Co

Thu Jun 03, 07:57:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

I forgot to mention that when I was changing my tire I was in the bus shelter with some crazy dude, who had liquor breath and was obviously a EuroTrash guy. Who kept asking me something like "Dis Annette"...I said 'ya'. "Keele" and he'd point east. I said 'ya'. I wasn't in a good mood since I just got a flat and I was trying to get somewhere by a set time. Then he was saying something and I kept saying 'WHAT?'. I kept looking up to see if Tresa was coming and he kept telling me 'Don't worry' and stuff about God or the bus I couldn't tell with his accent. In any case, I wasn't going to let this stop me from getting to my destination and ruin my day. I just didn't want to crash.

Thu Jun 03, 09:19:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment