.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Steering wheel whine

 There was a whine I had first noticed several months ago but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.  It had been getting louder and louder.  Finally after doing a search, and having my brother stand in front of the car as I turned the steering.  It was my power steering pump.
The bearing was probably shot.  It was an original part and this car is a 1998.  But I think there was a leak and this probably lead to the bearing to fail.


 In any case, it wasn't hard to do. The pump sits right at the top beside the alternator.  It takes a few hours but it's helpful if you have a service manual.  Since it tells  you the steps to do for removing the pump and re-installing it.

It also helps to have good neighbours.
Sam always helps me with my car.
I'd be stuck and he'll come over and get me going again.

After a couple of bumps and drops of rain, I was able to get it all back together again and no more whining sound from the engine.  And it feels like new again.

More important than saving $$ that would normally go to a mechanic, is the ability to learn how to do this stuff on my own, and realize it's not rocket science, but takes some gumption and patience.

Click for photos