.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, July 26, 2013

A bath canvas - clean slate

Whatever you want to call it.  Our original 1956 bathroom has been gutted to the studs.
Our bathroom is old and cold.  But it was very simple and very retro.  A designer, who is on TV, said she liked it and said it was quite nice.  But we never used this bathroom to take a shower.  The shower head is too low.  I think Filipinos installed this shower/tub area.  The shower head is a foot too low.

Anyways this Filipino plus his 6'2" brother are going to take it out.  And in June we got started on it.  And we kept at it.  Wow, was it ever difficult to demolish this bathroom.  It had about 1-1/2" to 2" of cement and mesh behind the tiles.  It was made to last.  Bit by bit I was getting stuff out.
We weren't sure about whether to save the floor and the tub.  The tub is a steel retro tub.  It's ok, but it got chipped in the demo.  The floor is very nice, but cold.  We checked into refinishing a tub, but it's simply an epoxy bonded paint.  If you are gutting a bathroom.  Get a new tub.  We thought refinishing it would restore it to it's original state.  It's not what we thought.

The problem with the floor is that now it becomes a design/colour matching issue.  So to resolve that issue.  I removed the floor.  There it's gone. No more design/colour matching issue.  Clean slate.  Easy. I do it!

The floor came up relatively easy.  We thought we'd need a jackhammer considering how difficult the walls were.  The walls required many blows with the sledgehammer.  It was a lot of work.

 With the floor gone, Tresa now has a blank canvas to work with.  I just need help getting the tub out.  It's already disconnected and I've capped the water lines.


And we can now install an infloor heating system.  Already sourced it out.  When we get closer to that point, I will pick it up.

It took a bit of getting used to, not having a toilet on the second floor. Being middle aged now, nightly pees were becoming normal.

But I think my body is somehow realizing the bathroom is now 2 floors down, so it's shutting itself down till morning.


I can't really do much until I get this tub out, so I can insulate the walls.  No more racing for me. I am free to work on the bathroom for the remainder of the summer and fall.

My goal is always to finish before the snow falls.  Summer is already half over.  Better get on it.

Bathroom demolition Pics.