.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Flood and blackout birthday

The family that goes thru floods together, stays together.
These are the guys responsible for bringing the rains to TO.
They were in Canmore AB for the flooding there in June, and when they were done with that they brought the severe thunderstorms here so we could experience it for ourselves.  Pictures weren't going to do it justice.  Experience was better.

I didn't think it was all that bad.  But a lot of rain came down in a very short period of time.  I had never seen the 427 flooded.  DVP yes because it's in a low region next to the Don River, but 427 was like a lake.  I could not believe it.  Lakeshore Blvd was also flooded, Lake Ontario was reclaiming it back.  GO-trains, subways and stations, libraries, grocery stores were also flooded.  It was like Thailand.  And since TO Asian population has become the majority, that comment is not too far off.

Jinn had ridden home on his bike along lakeshore to avoid the traffic.  He encountered sewage instead. YUK!

Our power was restored early Tue morning.  But our friends 2km south of us, still had no power.  The Toronto Hydro Outage map, was having an outage. ie. it saying there was no outage in that postal code when in fact there was.  And TH's response?  Check twitter.  Sure...cellphone networks were also down.  What a backup plan.  Who's idea was that? I'm sure the city paid a few $M for consultants to come up with that.

So to provide relief we asked them to come by, we'll crank up the AC, hoping we don't cause a brown out, and enjoy a birthday supper and wish for hydro to be restored.  And when people come over, you know what that means.  High stress time for Tresa.  Clean up, clean up song starts playing at a fever pitch.

Ki Jinn and I share the same birthday. It's a funny coincidence and I think we found out when I had a bit of a mishap and he was patching me up and asked me my birthdate for a script or something and he looked at me as asked if I was kidding.

I said no...July 10th.
I am exactly 3 years older.  Now we are in the same age group for races.  Which means I'll be farther down in placing.  He is a much faster runner than me.

We had 6 Neopolitan pizzas + Salad + cake (DQ had no power, it was from cold stone).  It was awesome. 3 Birthdays (2 today and 1 recently past), 1 yellow belt, 1 freed loose tooth and only a threat of thundershowers, and restored power.

It was a good day.