.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, October 23, 2015

HMS Endeavour

This was Kieran's school project.  He came to me a week or so ago that he was working on a new project.  It was about James Cook's Endeavour.  And he wanted to build his ship.

This is what it looks like.
I said. "You want to build that!"
It's a little complicated, but i can build something and then you can put all the little details.
Actually I first said "Let's talk to Uncle Mel" since he has access to a workshop with the tools I would need to do something like this.

Well most 10yo wouldn't be able to make something exactly like this.  I wouldn't be able to build something like this. I just don't have all the tools.
But a resemblance, sure, maybe.  Ah let's give'er a go.

So I got to thinking.  How could I do this relatively easily and what do I have in the garage that would work.
So I could use some scrap 2x4's that could become the hull, and repurpose the flag pole from his Germany flag (from soccer camp) to use as the masts and whatever that part is sticking out at the front.

And so I drew out my plan and explained it to him and Kieran said he didn't think it would turn out.  So I left it at that.  And I explained my ideas to my brother, but he was sick so nothing was going to be happening until he got better.

Then the other day, Kieran asked "When are we going to do my HMS Endeavor project?"
I said "When is it due?"
"Next week or this Friday." Kieran replied.

Oh man.  Anyways.  This is what I/we did.
I tried to do the stuff that Kieran wouldn't be able to do.  It's a little rough, but I mainly used my table saw to cut and shape the hull from three pieces of 2x4s that I laminated together.  I then used a file and planer to smooth it out a bit, but I had little time to make it look nicer than this.

When I showed Kieran the hull when he got home yesterday, it got a thumbs up.
And we worked together to decide on the mast heights and whatever that thing is on the bow of the ship.

It kind of looks more like a Chinese Junk ship right now.  And I'm hoping he puts in his details to make it more like an HMS vs HMJ (Her Majesty's Junk).  Haha.


It even has a rudder.  Which was a scrap piece from the hull.
There's a little groove that I cut and slid it in and glued.

So this was my contribution.
I got the primer out so that he could put a coat on so that when he goes to paint it, it'll have a base to stick to.

The rest is up to him to detail it and make it look like the H.M.S. Endeavor for his project.  He said he's been working on the written report part, and he wanted the ship as a supplement to his project.

Not sure why he squats like that.
And in my flip flops too.


We got sample paint from Home Depot for $3.
The rest was dollar store stuff.
Hot glue.
Skewers.
Black twine from Michael's that Tereza found.


So this is where it's at.
Not sure why he's frowning.
But usually that face is reserved for School Day photos.

All that's left is to put on the canons and the life boat.
Which Uncle Mel made.