.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, October 26, 2015

My Friend Kijiji

After 10 years, the La-Z-boy sofa that Tresa never really liked is gone to a new home.  Actually to a young lady with an Aussie boyfriend who is studying engineering. What a coincidence.
Getting this sofa out of our home took some engineering.  It's not like we have double doors and a foyer.  Our main floor is 500sqft with 30" wide door openings.  I'd gotten the sofa out once, to put it into the garage as I installed the floor.  But I couldn't remember how Helen, my brother and I did it and was frustrated until I tried the only version of getting out I hadn't tried.  And voila!  It was out in the driveway ready for pickup, minutes before the rains came.

When the young couple came to check out the couch I had put up for sale I wasn't sure if they'd take it or not.
It didn't really matter to me since we'd have nothing and something is better than nothing, but if we're going to renovate the entire main floor, might as well go all out.  Plus the sofa back cushions were no longer supportive kind of like those flat pillows I had as a kid.

We sold our FLOS Fuscia 3 light, which we got from Michigan about 8 years ago.  Then I sold our KitchenAid gas range last year, that I thought had no chance of being sold because it only had 1 or 2 burners working.  But that went in the same day.  The only thing so far I couldn't sell was our 40 year old washer and dryer.  That ended up going to the scrap yard for recycling.

I had put up our sofa 1 month to the day it was sold.  I had a few enquiries. Mostly tire kickers.  The people asking if I deliver, I don't even bother replying.  But I figured if it sold then it's one less thing to keep moving around as I finished things.

I didn't realize the U-Haul was close by.  And when they arrived in the pickup truck, I wasn't sure if it would fit.  It's a 91" wide sofa.  But it fit.

I've been selling stuff left right and centre.  Kijiji has been my good friend helping me clear out our space and we get to pocket a bit of cash. Stuff I didn't think would sell has been sold.  I've been doing it mostly to clear out space.  And I didn't want to just toss it in the land fill because the stuff was still useful and in really good condition.  I just needed to find the right person.  And so far, I've been able to.

I ended selling this battery grip that I came as part of a kit with my XSi DSLR and never used.  It's at least 5 years old and is only good with the XSi and T1i, so when it sold relatively quickly I was surprised and it went to a good person.  I also got rid of my lean-to bike storage rack, but that went to a fellow club rider.  And these Expedit plastic cubes that had been sitting in the garage for about 5 years.  Or however long ago it was since we renovated the basement.  Those all went and I got what I asked for.