.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, March 13, 2017

Licensed to slide

I've never been on or ridden a snowmobile in my life.
Kieran's one up on me here.
That's him pulling a cottage neighbour Michael on the round toboggan.  I wasn't feeling energetic this past weekend which was also the Spring FWD DST time change.  So my body was rejecting the time change.




The -12 deg C temps didn't help me either.  But as I was watching out the back window of the cottage. I witnessed Kieran sliding around on what I'd compare to as the winter version of tubing in summer.  Seeing his little frame on the disc sled looked like a lot of fun!  So I pulled on my snow pants and headed out into the Great White North.  I never thought of using a snowmobile for this sort of purpose.  I was looking at it more like a motor bike for the winter than like a boat for the winter.

This was a cool eye opener.   Wearing the helmet was great.  No wind burn or snow in the face!  It reminded me of my motor cycle riding days.  I would consider a snowmobile.  Out of all the possible leisure toys.  I think because a jet ski is not enough power to pull a tube, a boat is a lot of mainteance and gas and insurance, and ATV is pretty much just a off road small vehicle.  But a snowmobile, is designed for winter, the others aren't and winter storage can cause mechanical problems in the spring.

Sharon and Mike were up at the cottage and Johnathan had bought a snowmobile with is part time job savings.  And gave us all a ride. It was a blast.  He even showed Kieran how to drive the snowmobile!  I'm glad they trusted him enough to let him drive it alone.

Even their dog was impressed.  Well she was happy to be out in the snow eating ice chunks.

I was unsure how the lake would be since the weather this season has be a little up and down, but it's been well down into the minus' lately so the ice was good and thick.

There had been a hole drilled into the ice for some ice fishing and was clearly at least more than a food thick close to the shore.



Not all the sled rides were successful.   It's not as easy as it looks!   And once you get going staying on isn't so easy either.  Here's the snow plow method of riding the disc.