.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Finally the Squeaky Wheel gets the grease

We got this dryer for free from Tresa's parents after they got a new set. It works perfectly! But from day 1 it squeaked.  Usually it'll last a few mins then go away.

But lately it's been squealing for the entire time it's running.  Even with the laundry room door it was getting to be like Medieval Interrogation Torture. It's pretty loud.  I wished I had recorded it, but I didn't really want to record something that I could not bare hear any more!

So I did google it and from what parts/service places say it's the drum rollers.  And so I got new drum rollers and a belt.  I thought I might as well replace the belt while i have it opened.

Kieran helped me figure out how to take it apart and service the belt and drum rollers.
We also vacuumed the inside of the dryer and basically gave it a 100km tuneup.

We brought down a laptop and watched the videos on how to do it.
It took a little bit of searching to find how to open OUR model of Maytag dryer but we found it.  And it was good for him to see how you can do anything if you set your mind to it and do some research.
It's amazingly simple.  At least for the dryer.


So those 2 wheels are what I'm replacing with new ones.  Make sure you get the right part #'s for your appliance.  The person I was talking to on the phone gave me a different part# and it was a good thing the guy at the desk double checked against the model of the dryer.

And you won't be able to remove these rollers without this snap ring remover tool.  I bought it last year because when I working on my mtb fork to change the travel, i didn't have one of these.  I still got it done but this is what you need.  And it was still tricky.
But it would have been impossible not to damage the ring without it.

The belt looked ok maybe a little dried out, but i had a new one so i may as well replace it too.

Anyways. I put everything back. And the squealing still happens.  So I google to see if there should be lubricant on the drum roller shafts.  They don't do it in the video.  And it's because lint can get attracted to it.  But when I took the wheels off. They did have a bit of lubricant.

So I took it all apart and used a bit of grease.  And i also forgot to check the pulley wheel, and so I took that apart too and greased it and removed any excess to minimize lint.

I put everything back together again.
And voila.  Quiet as a mouse.
It sounded like it was brand new.

I was so happy.
That squealing was driving me bananas.