.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, March 17, 2017

Where for art thou Imeneo?


It's not a shakespearean show we saw, it was an Italian Opera.
But the title sounded good.

This was a UofT show and one of our Cottage friends' daughter was cast as a lead.

I've never been to an opera.
I've never even really seen an opera.
They are usually in Italian or French and (believe it or not) sometimes in German.  Never thought of German as an operatic language.
But hey.  Who am I to judge.

We had dinner prior with the whole group at EVO OO.
It was amazing dining experience there.
Really enjoyed the company and food.

Sort of glad we had somewhere to go or else we'd be drinking and eating all night.

It was also a full house.  Sold out for ALL the performances.  So glad we were able to get tickets.  Otherwise we probably would gone back home and watched a Netflix movie or the Leafs are on TSN01.  They're in a playoff race you know!

My first photo with the orchestra to the right is a little blurry, but the other is clear.
We are actually sitting on the Stage.  It's quite neat the setup.

You can see the screen where the are translating what the singers are singing into english.  It reminded me of Kieran's violin pieces and how they are repeated.  It's not exactly a script, but they sing and act to articulate the scene and tell the story.

I've heard Sarah sing before.  She has an amazing voice.  And when you hear her on stage it's like a bird.  And when you hear her with other singers, you realize how awesome she really sounds.

I really liked the screen.  Opera snobs would probably consider it tacky, but because I don't understand Italian, it helped me to follow the story and enjoy the performance and able to appreciate the talents of the performers.  Otherwise I know I'd be lost.  And it would make no sense to me.

It was a very cool intro to Opera.
Cool to see someone on a stage that we knew.
I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her on other stages.