.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

SnowSLO Storm

This was just the start of the snow storm.   And already we had several inches of snow.  And this would be our 3rd big dump of snow this season.




This was the first winter that I was dreading shovelling.  Maybe it's because it feels like it's getting more and more difficult.  Or I was getting lazy.  I don't mind shovelling.  I look at it as a free Crossfit workout.  I've seen some of those routines and you can hurt yourself if you don't do them right or don't build up to them.  I think I just wanted to make my life a bit easier.



We have this laneway where i have no place to dump the snow on either side.  Thinking about piling it up in the front and back and then putting my back into it, since i just used my legs to push all that snow there was not something i was looking forward to.


So for the first time, I bought a snowblower.  Not a 3-stage gas model, but an single stage 15A electric corded model.  Gas is certainly the most powerful, but i didn't want the hassle of managing the fuel.  The battery powered ones have the freedom, but run times are short and batteries are expensive.  Some are not as powerful as their corded versions.  I also wanted something convenient to bring to the cottage to help us clear the snow there.

So I visited my 2nd place of work - Home Depot - or where some people think i work.  Especially when i'm in the middle of a reno.  I looked at the various makes and models there.  Cost, features, motor size, build quality.

I saw this brand.  SnowJoe.  I laughed cuz we have a friend named Joe.  And he's a SLO.  He would never lend his name to this china brand thing.  Joe's a big gentle giant kind of guy.  And this snowblower was small and not manly at all.  If anything it fits this Asian dude.

It had the larger electric motor. All the specs were comparable to other makes that had good reviews.  But as with everything Asian, you need to take them with a grain of salt.  Maybe a tablespoon.

But I went online to HomeDepot and found a model that was similar to the one at the store (same motor, but design was slightly different).  But it was on sale.  On Sale to an Asian is like giving a dog a big beef bone.  Could have no meat, but the eye's are bigger than the brain at that point.

So I bought it.  Thought why not.
I used it soon after i bought it when the snow was super wet.  I thought why not?  If it works great!  And surprisingly it worked well!  It threw that wet stuff pretty far.  Since that time it hasn't been used until last weekend when we had a significant dump of snow.  I was so excited to use it I did our house, then i went next door and did my neighbours.  I wasn't even tired.

But this recent dump of 25-30cm I focused on our side.  I was tired.  But not as tired if I did it all with a shovel.  I'd cleared the snow already 2x yesterday (1x with Kieran and Tresa) and then again early this morning before dawn.   I've got some semblance of a pattern that I follow now.  The cord is a bit of a pain.  You certainly have to learn how to maneuver around it.  And you need to be aware of it at all times.  I got my bro to make me this cord thing to wind it up nice and tidy when I am done.  Glad i did, it comes in handy as it keeps it from tangling when i unwind it.


I'm just watching my neighbours at the back struggling with the same thing that I was wanting to save myself from this year.
I still often just push the snow with a shovel front and back, but the snowblower now saves me from the lifting part.

I can see the big mound of snow that they need to pile up somewhere.  That gate is nice, but now it's a pain in the ass.  Guess they didn't think about when it snows.

I didn't realize that the box says it handles like a vacuum.  That's pretty accurate.  It's exactly how it feels when you are using it.

I didn't expect much from this unit.  It's China made. It's got a laughable name, it has specs that can be questionable, but it has a metal auger, it doesn't feel cheap.  Other makes and models were 3x the price and they had a plastic auger.  That was the deal breaker.  Plastic and cold = brittle and break and then you are back to shovelling and now upset.  That's what closed that Marked Down DISCOUNT deal for this unit.

Plus the warranty was really good.