.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, July 10, 2020

It's EZ being Me @ 51

Post storm obstacle course
It's been a hot July so far.  We have a heat wave going on.  And it's been really hard to keep cool.  I'm not complaining about the heat.  I am glad it's here.  Since it usually also includes longer days.   It makes for amazing pre 6am rides.  I really enjoy heading home in the early morning sun rise.

I do miss pre-COVID San Remo convenience when you could walk in and order a coffee and a fritter, but hey...who needs those extra calories anyways?

Tresa's decorations and burritos
It's been a challenge self-isolating and navigating these uncharted waters.  But what can you do?  It is what it is.   It's not about our right to do whatever we want to do.  It's about keeping ourselves and our loved ones safe.  Respecting others.  Having each other's back, not trying to backstab one another to get ahead of the queue.

It was quite a week and TGIF.  An intense mid-week isolated storm and trying to stay cool with freezees, ice cream and cold water showers 4x a day.  I'd had enough of rough sleepless nights.  Being hot at night is not the same as being in heat.  Man it's a rough time getting up in the mornings.

Eugene
I kept checking the AC unit, the fan, the Nest thermostat.  Did that thing stop learning to cool the house or what?  After checking all the return and supply ducts, cleaning them out.  Installing a brand new furnace filter after only 43 days, and cleaning out the furnace to boot.  Then cleaning the coils on the AC outdoor compressor unit at 6am.   I wished I had taken a before pic, cuz it was covered like a fur coat.  They tell you to go out and buy a Simple Green cleaner, but all you need is vinegar, water and
soap solution in a spray bottle and hose it from the inside out. 

Even after all this, the house temp was still not going below 28 deg C on the main floor.  Google and YouTube basically said it was probably my refrigerant levels.  I'd had it.  I could not take it any more.  I needed to call in help to resolve the cooling problems.  Plus i saw that technician calls almost double on weekend and stat holidays.  So for my birthday I was getting COOLNESS. 

All you need to be cool
I wanted to be cool and have a good night's sleep for my birthday.   All the ice cream, popsicles, ice water and cold showers just weren't cutting it.  I called 2 guys.  Thank God the service repair guy I trust is still around and working and can do it.  And he showed me how to do it too.

I said once he retires, he needs to teach me how to do this.  He said it's quite easy and proceeded to show me.  All you need is the refrigerant bottle and gauges.  The gauges are ez to get he said.  Any appliance repair place will have it.  The R410A bottle I'll have to figure out.

The valves on the AC compressor are like a bike valve.  Once you disconnect it, it will close the valve.  Do a google search for R410A pressure readings and it's 150psi for low side and 340psi for high.  You only ever fill on the low side.  Never the high side.  The left gauge is for low side readings and filling.  That's what you connect to the AC to recharge or top up.  You can connect the right side gauge to the high side just to check if the compressor is working properly.

Get your own cake!
After a few checks, like the refrigerant pipes sweating in the humidity.  It wasn't sweating as much as next doors, but I did confirm later that it was in fact working.  The temps finally dropped this morning to 24 deg C.  And we finally got our wish and got a comfortable good night's sleep.

I still got my own DQ ice cream log cake.  They wouldn't put happy birthday like they did before, but they did give me a happy birthday sign.  No line up when I went.  Cuz I DO IT!
Don't forget your masks.  It's mandatory now in TO for indoor spaces!  And it's no big deal.  Just wear the friggin things.

Motivational Mug
Not this sign, but i do use this mug.  It is my motivation every day to get crack-a-lacking on our renovations.  I have about 5 shots of espresso in it.  So that helps.

All in all it turned out to be a great birthday.
i'm alive, healthy and well.
I am surrounded with a great family and friends.
No...I have a TREE-MEN-DUS family.  (As in Trump tremendous).
(And glad I'm not living in the USA.)

I am blessed.

EZ to be me

I got my decorations, card, beer and cake.  I got my own cake and i ate it too.  Even made my own sign.
Wishes do come true!

Happy Birthday to MOI.
JibJab