.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, February 24, 2022

A POS roll holder

I've had my 3D printer now for about 8months.  When I got it I didn't know what I'd create with it.  I've found that there is no limit to what you can think up.

We just finished most of our 2nd bath.  We had 1 little issue, and it was finding a good spot for the toilet paper roll.   Because of the layout of this space there was no place to mount a toilet paper holder.  Usually it's been sitting in a box in the unfinished shower stall.  But now it's finished!  Where do I put it so I can get it when I need it?

The fixed partition on the shower is glass and I had bought a pack of suction cups for another thing I was going to make.  I figured I could mod and print something from Thingiverse to adapt with the suction cups.  But the models I'd found were not small nor simple.  I thought, let me give this a shot.

Off to TinkerCAD to make something that would work, but also be TK approved for use in our home.

I've used TinkerCAD before, it is a great tool for making simple models.  But they do have examples of some really complex models, but hey I'm no pro.  

I wanted to keep this one minimal and simple.  It was challenging enough just lining things up.

The next morning it was done and it was the moment of truth.  I was more concerned with if the model was going to be accurate in terms of model dimensions and measured dimensions.  But it was bang on.  So suction cups were nice and secure.  

I made a small lip in the model where the suction cups knobs insert so once you pressed the them into the holes it would not fall out.

The model finished and assembled this morning and it was TK approved.  It's black so it stands out next to the clear glass and white walls.

I ended up sharing it on Thingiverse too.  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5261091

Why not.  Someone else might get use out of a Sukaboy designed POS roll holder.  I was actually thinking of naming it that, but it would need to be reviewed by Thingiverse and may not be approved.  So the only reference to that name is here.  

It's nothing fancy or complicated, but simplicity is sometimes hard to achieve.  We often make things more complicated than they need to be.  Sometimes it's okay if it's a simple POS. Heh.