.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Board game, set, match

A match made by board games.  We had been introduced to the great fun of board games many years back, but we don't play so often since it's only 3 of us and Kieran says we are no challenge.    

But these two introduced me to Catan, and many other board/card games.  It's a level of interaction that many video games cannot reproduce.
They needed a 4th player.  And they only had 3 including Kieran.  I still remember Lisa asking me if I would like to play with her, Robbie and Kieran.

She said, Kieran is very good at Catan.   It takes some learning (I even had to watch a video) and there are many facets to playing.  Never mind winning.  But don't expect the same level of play from me.  My strategy is to not look confused and lost and pay attention to how many cards I have and make sure I can differentiate the colour of my game pieces from everyone else's.   I'm basically the equivalent to a pylon in hockey...haha.   

I'd forgotten how much fun board games are to play.  And that's the key.  Have fun.

The table talk is always fun, as it always brings out the personalities and poker-like strategies each player implements during the game.  

But hey forget about the old guy and sometimes he flies under the radar and comes out on top!

I've been to Kleinburg countless times, on my bike, and familiar with the coffee/pastry shops,  but never have I been to the Doctor's House.  This place is a wedding destination.  You can get married here in the chapel, have the reception and even consummate the marriage in your very own suite.  Due to COVID, weddings have been churning out like an assembly line.  On this particular date, there were multiple weddings going on.  I could not believe it.

Kleinburg is very pretty.  The McMichael Art Gallery (Group Of Seven) is typically the first thing that comes to mind when Kleinburg  is mentioned.   The grounds around the gallery are very very pretty, There are parks all around it, spanning from Islington to Pine 
Valley and south of Major Mac.  I've ridden all the way up to Kleinburg through the parks and conservation areas that connect all the way from Toronto.  It's a bit of a twisty route and easy to take a wrong turn, and encounter some park maintenance or construction, but the upside is you avoid all the bad drivers.

There was some logistical challenges for us for this weekend.  We had to collect a couple of 80+yo to ensure they got to and from the wedding safe and sound also in comfort and on time, as the ONE always seems to wear a watch and check it often to see when lunch and coffee breaks are.  Also dinner body clock alarm goes off at 3pm.  Soon after afternoon break.  It's an incredibly tight schedule for someone to follow.  There's not enough hours in the day to accommodate all these food breaks.

I was showing Reinhold how to take photos without his thumb getting in the way.  For a 90yo, he's a glass half-full guy.


This is the second time I've had Coronitas. They are 200mL sized bottle of Coronas.  They feel small but your beer doesn't end up getting warm when you get to the bottom.  

It's a nice change from the 500mL tall boys and whatever.  Bigger is not always better, despite what our US neighbours say.  Quality over Quantity is best.


The church was beautiful.  I've seen it on my rides, I didn't realize how new it was.  And due to COVID lockdown preventing weddings from happening for 2 yrs, there was a backlog on church ceremonies too!


It was a beautiful and fun day/evening.  The weather was amazing.  Very thankful to have been privileged to be included in their celebration. 
We got to enjoy the Kleinburg village, mingle and meet family and sample hors d'oeuvres.  They were very very good.  I was worried I was going to fill up on them before dinner.


One of the few non-selfie stick pics I had.  This courtyard off the dining hall is beautiful.  At night it's such a tranquil place hang out and walk off the food or chill and cool off from the dance floor. 



I didn't really think this flash mob Knock 3 Times dance was gonna actually happen.  As it lead up to the day we snuck in a few practices and recorded the video so we could all not look like pretenders.  

And as the DJ announced us, it was getting stressful and I quickly realized I didn't have enough blood alcohol to chillax.  

But the song and dance went on, surprisingly and not so surprising, people joined in.  Guess they all watched the Filipinos on YouTube too.  And turned out to be such a memorable and fun thing!  The best gifts are priceless.  And that's all that mattered.


You know...Selfie-sticks may be too cool for school.  But who cares.  The stick with the BT remote button came in handy