.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Run for the border

We tried doing what my brother and sister-in-law do when they do long drives with their kids. They drive overnight. When we headed down to NJ we left at 10:30 am and had to take many breaks because of Kieran. When we drove home we thought we'd leave later so that we drive while he slept. It was good. Less cars, less breaks, but less visibility (the US road signs aren't as reflective as the Canadian ones) and fear of some animal jumping across the road. And it took us just under 10 hrs. And all it took was a coke, ginger ale, a small coffee and a red bull. Plus some caramel popcorn, Mike & Ikes, pringles, and tostitos chips.

I was getting sick of the chips but I needed to munch on stuff to keep me awake. For some reason when I'm driving and get drowsy, all I need is a bag of chips or carrots just to munch on, and it takes the drowsiness away.

We made the Cornwall border in about 6.5 hrs. And they didn't even check our passports. They're so nice on the Canadian side. The US side is a different matter. I got interrogated on our way down.

I just gotta say, NY state needs to put more reflective signs and markers on their roads. Pennsylvania was pretty good. But once we crossed into NY state. I could barely see where the road was bending. It was stressing me out.

I was so happy when we got back into Ontario. Maybe it's because I know it's the home stretch. I was trying to get Tresa to nap, so I could drive without her freaking out whenever she saw break lights in front of me, but she couldn't or wouldn't or was just wanting to make sure I was okay.

On our way home though we saw an SUV that had rolled over. I think the person fell asleep. In NY state there was a car that was weaving all over the road. That guy was on the verge of rolling over, and in that section of I-81 the road shoulders end up becoming cliffs.

We made it home safe. I'm heading to bed. Of course Kieran is up and wide awake.