.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowmageddon

I had to travel to Markham/Thornhill this week for a course I was taking for work.
It's odd how the only time you have to go anywhere there's a storm.

I arrived 1 hr late for my first day of class because I had to shovel.
Then there was the Snowmageddon warning for the last day of class.
I prepared for it by putting in one of the cars in the garage and having the shovels ready and waiting the night before.

I also programmed my alarm clock to wake me up early only if there was any snow on the ground.
And if there was no snow, to let me sleep a little longer.
Pretty nifty alarm clock eh?

There's only 1 of these in the world. Basically here's how it works. I asked Tresa to wake me up just before she left for work so I can shovel and get sleeping beauty-beast out the door early.

Well it didn't snow. At least not yet.
It started to snow just before we got out the door and did it come down fast.
I thought for sure I'd be late by an hour or more. I was less than 10mins late.
It took me a little bit longer, but the highways were not bad. Not as many people on the roads as I'd first anticipated. I think there were many folks who called into work for a snow day. Hey I thought snow days were only for school kids?

It was the last day of class and these guys planned for it. They let us out early - 1/2 day early to accommodate for the storm. Good thing. It was messy out there.

And I'm sure glad I have one of the watchdogs to help me dig our house out.
It's amazing how many people just don't know how to drive in snow. They should make it mandatory for folks to get their license in the winter on really snowy days.
Some people with "all season" tires just barrel down the road like it's summer.
The guys with 4x4's and all season tires are the best - I think they have a missing frontal lobe and they voted for George W. a second time.
You know just because you have 4 wheel drive doesn't mean you have better traction in piss poor conditions. It means that instead of 2 tires spinning you have 4 tires spinning.

Winter tires are designed to grab snow. Summer and All Season tires, are designed to pump out water. When the sipes clog up with snow which they always do, they become like slicks - ie. no treads. No one would dream of driving in the snow with slicks. Right?

All season tires were made for the climate of most the lower 48 states (I would exclude Michigan and other northerly states). Not snowmageddon country.

Anyways I was heading home from class and going from the 404 to the 401 Express, I could see a big cargo truck fishtailing behind me and picking up steam. I felt like Indiana Jones with boulder on my tail.

But I made it home. My trusty Subaru with all wheel drive and 4 snow tires, got me home safely.