.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Zoo Run - 2nd Place

Another year and another zoo run and cub run.

Last week was awesome weather to do a run. It was going to be 22 deg C and clear skies. Too bad that wasn't the day of the run.

On this day it was going to be a high of 9 deg C. Aw man it's always chilly when I run... But we were all registered for a run and a day at the zoo, so we were committed.

My hamstring was sore, but I figured I'd do what my legs could give me today.
It was as always, a mad rush to get to the race site. I had 1hr and forgot my wallet on the stairs. It only set us back about 5mins, but I knew every minute counted. We got there with 10 mins for me to pick up my timing chip, bag checked and head to my corral for the race start. I had 5 mins to spare till the start of the race. And I even had time to do a bio break and warm up. Gotta love it. I don't need a warm up...my heart is already racing from the stress of getting to the start line.

I did pretty good considering all things. 46:48.6 by my watch. 4:41 per km. This course has some rolling hills and tight turns and steps to climb too. So I was happy. Although I'm hurting today.

It was the Oasis Zoo run (click link or the photo of the kiddies) and this year's Cub run had a little twist. There's a dalmation, a frog, a clown fish and a tiger. It's almost like the wizard of Oz. Kieran was rearing to go. He couldn't wait for me to finish my race so that he could run his Cub Race. And this year he ran the whole thing. No carry, carry.

For some strange reason, all of Kieran's hats and head wear always shifts to the right. That tiger head was always looking to the right. His owl outfit did the same. His head must be shaped funny.

They had a prize for the best costumes for the kiddie's. The audience applauded for each of the kids. It was very close. The frog came in first (since it was the year of the frog at the zoo) and Kieran in his tiger costume came in second. Pretty good for his first race. I've never won anything in all my years of racing. But I was injured. Plus I'm old and slow. Maybe that's why. But what I don't get in prizes I more than make up in the food at the end of the race. I usually have enough bagels, bananas, cereal, you name it to last about 2 weeks. I learned this from Dave Lee.

Kieran got a loot bag and some free zoo passes and some free movie passes and a hand shake from the COO of Oasis juice. Did he smile though? No.

WOO HOO! I can finally watch a movie in front of a big screen in digital audio instead of watching it from my 19" monitor from a guy who's holding up his camcorder in some russian movie theatre.

I was pooped too, but they don't make a stroller my size.

Click me for more Metro Zoo and race photos.
And click the Oasis zoo run link for official photos from the run.

2008 Zoo Run photo caught YOU!
Caught you again!
and once more!
hey that's my sweater and my hands and my camera!

2007 Zoo Run post

Blogger Ray said...

------- Split ------ Time
1k -- 4.32.21
2k -- 4.37.80 --- 9.10.01
3k -- 4.40.78 --- 13.50.79
4k --
5k -- 9.48.03 --- 23.38.82
6k -- 4.33.90 --- 28.12.72
7k -- 4.30.88 --- 32.43.60
8k -- 5.02.78 --- 37.46.38
9k -- 4.43.32 --- 42.29.70
10k - 4.18.31 --- 46.48.31

hmm...I recall that there was a few hills around the 4k and 8k marks that chewed into my time. Then in the last km I think I started to run out of gas. This course has some sharp turns and I did what I could in the last km, but I just didn't have that kick. But it's pretty consistent with my 5miler nightcrawler run in June.

Thu Oct 30, 02:30:00 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment