.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Not done yet

Yep I was right. Since the house was upside down, there were tons of other things that Tresa thought of for us to do.

As I was finishing off the window sills and trim. She started to repaint the hallway.
I liked our 'fresh cut grass' green hallway.

So our house is still in a reno state for the past 4 weeks. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As part of the EcoEnergy audit they recommended that I put either expanding foam or backer rod behind the baseboards of all the exterior walls. So I took out all the quarter round and filled it in with foam. During the week I remembered that the upstairs interior walls also had air leaks via the attic. So I filled those up with insulation and put the molding back. And then Tresa repainted the molding.

The basement laundry room has been repainted and we took down that old medicine cabinet above the toilet to Craigslist it. It was a little tricky to paint around all the pipes and the sink and basin. I had to pull out the dryer in order to paint behind that and the washer. We even removed the security bars on the windows to repaint. All the holes have been foamed in and patched. But it's done and looks great.
The aluminum blinds replaced by $30.00 per yard frosting. Good thing we only needed 1 yard to do all 4 windows. But it looks nice and bright again.

The kitchen has never been repainted since we moved in. I preped the walls and ceiling with TSP before painting. I even cleaned the fume hood. It was a little greasy and took me a few hours to clean outside-in, I ended up having to take it down to do so. I also repainted it which was a bit or work, but worth the effort in the end. I'll put a photo up tomorrow after I get it back together and mounted again.

After painting the walls and trim we looked up and the ceiling needed a do over. Ugh...more work. But how can you have clean new walls and have the ceiling still the same? You can't.

So while Tresa did that, I worked on our hall closet door that has had a problem closing ever since we repainted the trim. This is going back years and it seemed to get worse in the last year. We could never get it to close. So I borrowed a hand planer and file and finally got it fixed.

And lastly we repainted the upstairs bathroom. This was a small room so it only took us a few hours to do. We basically got the kitchen and bathroom done in a day.
There's now only 1 room that hasn't been repainted and that's the basement/laundry staging area/Kieran's second play area/my office.

We took a half a day off on the weekend to go apple picking at Chudleigh's. At least Kieran can go and play instead of being cooped up at home and inhaling paint fumes. On the upside he has had lots of treats for being a good kid and staying out of the painted areas.

This is Apple Tree Farm

It was one small step for little people.


And one giant dive for Kieran almost not making it across the gap.

Anyways we got home and it was back to work in progress.
The hallway is still not done, but that's okay. It's not a critical living area.

It's just a minor thing here and there to do, but nothing you'd notice. Except for the hallway which is just primer. But that's no biggie.

Man am I tired. We're so close to being done I can smell the the lime in my Corona.
I am really looking forward to the long weekend to kick back and drink some beer I got on sale. And do something else other than paint, go to Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Rona or Lowe's and scrub my hands with hand cleaner and try to get the paint out of my hair.

Hey it's not the cheap stuff like OV that Dick usually buys. Stella Artois was on sale this week.