.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Hammer Time!

I don't know why but everything in our house was eggshell coloured. EVERYTHING! Must have been those rose coloured glasses from the 60's and 70's.

So we repainted our kitchen, and I cleaned our range hood. Still it's that 70's off white colour. With grease it was closer to dirty yellow.

So I asked Tresa if she would like to try repainting it. So she went to Home Depot to see what colour she wanted to try. We're planning on someday redoing our kitchen - that's ONE of our dreams (well her dream, my dream is winning the lottery and/or making it big in the latest stock market crash and buying a hybrid porsche, maybe a new bike, retiring and training for an ironman or playing professional golf...ya, that's the ticket!).

So I woke up from my dream and took down ol' yeller and started taking it apart to clean.
Hey that rhymes.
I cleaned it as best I could. It was greasy and it took several stages to get 99% of the layers of grease from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's off. The 70's grease was the worst. It had swirls in it like paisleys and smelled like weed, maybe that smell was coming a few doors down.

The outside was easy to clean. The former owners were great cleaners. But internally - it was thick. Like sticky urethane. I had to use TSP, a wire brush and windex to get it squeaky clean.
And I had to let it soak for a while. The grease creeps everywhere. It's like rustproofing.

But this is what it looks like now. Pretty easy. Just need to make sure it's not windy and it's clean, no dust flying around. It's called hammered paint.

And if it didn't turn out, that range hood was gonna get hammered and replaced by another one. Seemed like a lot of work, but it only cost us 12 bucks for 2 cans of paint and the aggravation of going to Home Depot and trying to get help from the staff. But I'm pretty pleased with the results.

This was I think the last major thing on my task list. I think I'm DONNO!

more hammer time photos