.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A freak

It was a freak accident. Didn't seem like anything major at that moment except that I was bleeding from my knee.
Man, why do things happen when I am just about to get ready to call it a night.
I had the car keys in my pocket to put the car into driveway.
But I wanted Kieran to ride his run bike to try the hand brake that I had put back on it. So as I normally do I rode my bike beside him. I recently replaced the chain and cassette on my bike because it was slipping and I had just made a minor tweak to the rear derailleur to adjust the shifting.

I was riding my bike wearing my sandals, instead of my cycling shoes with the cleats, with Kieran and I went to put load on the right pedal by standing on it and the chain slipped on the cassette and my foot slipped and the pedal smashed my knee. It hurt a bit and noticed blood so I headed to the garage. It was almost 9pm so it was dark and I couldn't get a good assessment of the damage I had just incurred.

I saw a trail of blood from my knee to my foot and got some paper towel to wipe it up. I saw that the skin was cut pretty bad. Luckily that was it.

I ran in the house to tell Tresa I had to go to the hospital. It was late. Tresa was going to take me, but it was late and it didn't hurt that bad, at least it wasn't the clutch leg.
I headed to St. Joe's to Emergency on my own, because I knew I'd be there for a while so why inconvenience everyone.
How many stitches do you see?
I took it with my iPhone. Man does the camera quality ever suck.
I didn't get a chance to take a pic before because ... I dunno why. Should've. Tresa said it was gross. It looked bad. This was a 5 or 6cm gash.

Got to the hospital and it was bleeding like crazy. Burned more than hurt. Got some Tim Horton's napkins to wipe it up and while waiting at the triage desk. I had a pool of blood in my flip flop. I tried hard to not spill it on the floor. But in my attempt to wipe the blood. It ended up on the floor and the bottom of my flip flop. At least the staff were nice about it. I was apologetic - didn't mean to bleed all over the hospital floor. To me it was a lot of blood, because it was mine, but to them it was nothing.

Lucky for me it wasn't so busy. So I was in and out in 2.5+ hours.
A half Filipino half Romanian and half something else European resident stitched me up. And he took good care too. Not rushed. Took his time. Got my 10 year tetanus shot.
Thanks Doc. Good to go.

I was home just after midnight.
In 7-10 days I got to come back and get the sutures out. These ones don't fall off.
Not allowed to bend my knee too much or it'll rip the sutures out, can't get it wet either. Awesome.
Oh well...s#!t happens.

Blogger Ray said...

It's the next day and it was painful when I woke up. Maybe yesterday it wasn't so bad because of the adrenalin. But after I took an advil and I've been up for almost 2 hours it's not as bad.

Wed Aug 19, 07:50:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You should give you bike away it's a death trap man. a Jeepnees would be safer.

Thu Aug 20, 05:02:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

I was thinking the same thing, it's the same bike I crashed in 2005.

Luckily I'm not feeling too bad, no joint pain. Just sore on the stitches and a little stiff.

Thu Aug 20, 11:12:00 AM EDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray,

If you are giving your bike away...Can I have it....Just joking...

I hope you fell better soon...

Dave

Thu Aug 20, 09:56:00 PM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

Checked my knee today (Friday Aug 21) and the scar doesn't look so bad, swelling has come down.

Fri Aug 21, 09:41:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Rain Man said...

so no hockey thurs???

Sat Aug 22, 08:38:00 PM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

not until I take the sutures out. Maybe when Paul arrives Sept 30.

Sun Aug 23, 09:52:00 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment