.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, August 13, 2009

You've got mail

After doing our windows, front porch (the repainted awning and blacked out railing and new house number), garage and the back bedroom. Our mailbox was starting to look out of place and neglected. It was still that tired old brown colour.

I should have taken a photo before I repainted it, but I just wanted to get it done before another torrential downpour was going to happen. It looked very similar to our neigbour's, the same dirt coloured panel, except that the slot was a yellowy brass colour.


I wasn't sure if I needed to take it apart from the inside too. There were two rusted old screws and that was it. So I took the slot out and masked off the box. And painted it a nice glossy black. I made sure I coated evenly and it came out really nice and shiny. No drip marks like I normally do and more importantly it came out even.

I did a pretty nice job, even if I say so myself. :-)
You can even see my reflection in the panel. That little blemish looking thing on the silver mailslot is a spider. You don't see it below cuz I squashed the bugger.

I then repainted the slot itself with the same paint I used for the range hood and the awning. Gave it a couple of coats replaced the rusty screws and this is how it turned out.

Only other thing I am thinking about is how to make the mail box a little tighter in terms of drafts. I insulated the inside door of the mailbox, and put a rubber flap on the inside of the slot to minimize the incoming air, but that's about as much as I can do with what we have.

We'll always have a draft. Even if we get a +$100 stainless steel slot from DWR it's still going to leak. This is an inexpensive compromise.

Now it matches the windows. All that's sticking out like a sore thumb are the doors and the front and side lights.