.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, June 28, 2010

iCracked

This was my old iPhone 3G. I couldn't transfer my contract over from my current provider to another provider without paying a huge penalty, and ended up ordering a new one for work from my new provider.

Since the exit fees were so high, we decided that Tresa should continue to use it. As with all phones, accidents happen. This phone has been dropped a few times, but it wasn't cracked when I gave it to her. It was cracked 3 days after I gave it to her. Some boxes fell on it at her work and the impact of those boxes cracked the screen. That's the story I got. Surprisingly it still worked, although it had a massive crack, from an impact.

But the battery life on it sucked. It would be dead within a day.
Even my new one, is now experiencing battery consumption problems. But this is a common iPhone problem. Hopefully fixed in the 4th gen.

A coworker sent me a link to a place where I could get parts.
I think to replace a cracked screen it's $200.00 if you take it to the Apple Store.
I also had to replace the battery. Which was crappy to begin with. So for those two things. I'm sure it would run me almost $300.00.

A new iPhone costs about $500.00-700.00.
And this one doesn't have a data plan. It's only voice. You can't get that anymore. If I were to renew my contract with Fido in order to get a replacement iPhone, I would be forced to pay for a data plan. You can no longer opt out.

So today I received my repair package in the mail.
I got a battery, new screen and case opener tool.
It took me less than 1 hr to replace the screen and battery. And that's with watching the YouTube videos that show you how at the same time.
Crossing my fingers on boot up.
And it's working!

Click me for more photos on how to do it.

I had ordered 2 batteries (one for now and a second for down the road), the first replacement wasn't charging at all. The second seems to be working. Once you know what to do, it can be done in less than 30mins.

Blogger vikash said...

How much did the replacement screen and battery cost you?

Tue Jun 29, 10:55:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

I got it here: www.directfix.com
99.00 for the LCD and screen. + 12.99 for the battery. + shipping.

Tue Jun 29, 11:00:00 AM EDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray I you just gave me the phone instead of my careless sister this would not have happened.... I hpoe you learned your lesson

steph.. the careful sister

Wed Jun 30, 08:59:00 AM EDT

 
Blogger Ray said...

Oh ya. And since you are on Fido, you could use this phone. It's a shame it's now Tresa's. You can have it when she breaks it.

Wed Jun 30, 09:50:00 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment