.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Slide slider

 I was thinking this would be a simple procedure.  I was servicing my front brakes and greasing the slider pins.
All was well until I got to the driver side brakes and the inside pad came apart.
See that right pad.  It's supposed to be attached to the plate. 



AW man!  More unexpected work.  So off I went to get some new brake pads.  Now I have to change all 4 pads.  So I would have to redo the passenger side that I just did.






The problem was this lower slider pin (on the right).  It wasn't sliding as well as it should and it's because the boot (beside it) wasn't tight anymore and allowing the grease to dry out.


Those pads were relatively new.  I think 2 years old.  The passenger side still had lots of material left.  But that inside pad on the driver side was 75% worn.
Slider pins and boots are cheap.  $20.00 for a pin kit and $15 for a boot kit.  Re-grease and you're good.
It'll save your brakes.
You know if you go to a Subaru dealer to get them to do this job.  It's called their spring brake tune up where they take the brakes off regrease it and put it all back.  They'll charge you $300.00.  Now if you need new parts...well. 

I'm getting good at it now though.  It's easy if you know how, and if you have gumption.  I look at this as training for when I get my porsche.