.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Friday, December 02, 2011

Below Grade Playroom

Wow, can't believe we started this project at the end of May.  The May 24 weekend to be precise.  I'm basically done.  We have no sofa yet and the stairs are going to be done in a few weeks, but with some help from Sam, my nephew and brother-in-law and a lot of help from my brother Mel, my work is pretty much done.  At least for now.  Not sure what I'm going to be doing in the evenings now.
We've lived with this basement for nine years.  Wilma was saying how nice Milan (the previous owners) made our basement. Nothing wrong with it I said.  We just made it better.  Plus it's our house now.  That's what the deed says.  We took out the kitchen that we no longer used.  We only used it when we first moved in, because we had no appliances.  Last year we got rid of the appliances in the basement.
At first we just wanted to remove the kitchen and square up the room.  Basically recover that space the cabinets took up.
Then we had an idea.  Make it into a media room (actually that was my idea). With one condition.  No wires running on the floor somewhere.  Ok.  I can do that.  At least I can try.  And try I did.
And then it morphed. I took down the stairwell wall to insulate, I redid the crawlspace (insulated and installed a light).  Relocated the hallway light.  Ran speaker jacks to the living room, ethernet to all 3 floors. Phone jacks, media nook, feature lighting. It took longer than I thought.  But there are only so many hours in a day.  And now the days are getting shorter.  It's dark at 5pm ET now.  And it's Dec.  Brrrrr....That's it for me.  It's hockey season.

But we finished it.  And it's the only room in the house that we've re-made into what I call Tresa's vision.   I give her all the credit for picking out all the wow factor stuff.  My work is all under the paint.  I did the best I could to meet her design.  There were some compromises along the way, but I think the room works.  Can't wait for the sectional.  Sitting on the floor watching Pokemon hurts my butt.  Don't know how Kieran does it. 
This is our playroom.
Basement Reno