.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, June 19, 2017

Humor-esque like Father's Day Violin Recital

It was Father's Day.  And I did manage to get out for a bit of a ride.  And glad I did get to go, because when we got back, it started to rain.  It was a bit warm, but not too warm.

It was a beautiful day and terrific performances by all of Dorothy's students at the Father's Day. I noticed that all the young kids are now getting bigger and taller and no longer little. This is the first time I used my Hero4 Session to record a recital.  It's kind of nice having a concert played on Father's day.  It's like a treat!

And we're close to Kensington Market and there's also the College St Little Italy street festival.  So afterwards we can wander around and get a bite to eat.  But today I was heading over to visit a cycling buddy in the hospital.  He crashed on the Tue evening criterium race and although he fractured his hip, it was fortunate that it wasn't worse.  It sucks to be out of commission at the beginning of summer, but it's ok, there's always next summer.  Time to heal and recover and hang out with the kids.

I noticed on a recording that I did at the graduation how good the video was.  I just wasn't sure how long the battery would last, but this little unit is impressing me every time I use it for something.  It's not just for action movies or under water, but for anything.

I mounted it on a little tripod and set up the WiFi and connected my iPhone to it so I could stop and start the recordings.  It was nearly perfect, except for this last second request I got and the connection was lost to the Hero4 Session.  I could see the little blue light, so the wifi was still on. I eventually did connect to the Hero4 Session.   And I caught the last bit of a father - daughter duet (piano - violin).  And it was beautiful sounding.

I may be fast, but I can't go back in time, and nothing is instantaneous.  Everything needs prep.  So if i'm supposed to record something, I need a minute or 2.

You can see Kieran's feet in the group songs.  And then you see a bit more of him in the Minuet 3 song.

His solo sounded really good! He did make a few mistakes, but so what.  He is really making his violin sing.  Not the cat singing with the raccoons at night over territory kind of singing.  That's my skill with the violin.  He is beginning to be able to make a violin sing the way it was made to sing, and on the cusp of really making it sing with emotion.
However, we do need to get him the next size up though.

I really like the resolution on the GoPro.  It's amazing.  And the ability to apply video enhancements is really neat.  I love this stuff.  I can eat it up!  It's what creative techno junkies like me enjoy.  And when we see what others have done we can appreciate effort that goes into the details.

And I was worried that I'd run out of battery power, but I can shut down the Session from my iPhone and remotely turn it on too, conserving it's power, so it's not always sending the preview.   It's worth the price to get the GoPro.  My chinese one is okay, does the job, but app sucks, has spelling mistakes, and battery life is somewhere between bad and awful.  But it's fine for hacking around.  And if you are cheap.  Well.  That word says it all. Cheap. ha.  But I've also heard and read that the Hero4 battery is terrible too.  But I've read good things about the battery life of the Session.  I'm glad I got it.  Plus it's a small cube.
I was worried about the blinking blue wifi indicator light.  But I don't think anyone really noticed it. Phew.
Nothing worse than a complaining parent.