.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Happy B-earthday

Earthday was beautiful yesterday.  I didn't expect it to be so nice.  I was thinking to wake up early to go for a ride. But as there wasn't an official ride today, and i kept hitting snooze, I opted to run as it was now middle of rush hour and these drivers rushing to work are dangerous. And it was surprisingly a bit chill-leh, ya, as I could see my breath, but still shorts weather.  Odd.  Maybe my morning breath was just toxic.  Like 3-Mile island meltdown toxic.

It was Easter Monday.  The day Jesus rose from the dead.
Just like Kieran rising from late night YouTube, watching the Simpsons and Bob's Burgers.  He'd been sick all last week with severe stomach pains.

The pains started the previous weekend on Sunday morning.  We thought it might have been something he ate, because the first thing he ate that morning was the bag of candy treats he got from his Aunt Rose.  But I ate all the same things.  If it was his nut allergy, then it would go away in a few hours. But it carried all day and into Monday and then 2:30am that night Tresa took him to St Joe's Emergency, as the pain was keeping him up and getting worse.

We were worried that it was his appendix, as his symptoms pointed to appendicitis, but blood tests and ultrasound ruled that out. It turned out that the lymph nodes in his stomach were inflamed, from some viral infection.

Nothing we could do, except manage the pain until his body expels the virus causing his lymphadenitis.  It was a tough week for him.  Not eating, or drinking (except hot tea), and not much sleeping.  He was looking pale, like he was becoming more Caucasian than Asian.  We did go to see his family doc, basically there was not much to do except drink Gatorade and eat a little bread, crackers and soup and avoid heavier foods - like burgers and burritos, and wait for the pain to subside.

Tuesday Wednesday were the worst days.  After that things started to gradually improve.  Taking Gravol and/or Tylenon/Advil to manage the pain in his gut every 6hrs.  I figured God must have been punishing him for dissing his parents.  Serves him right.  But it is hard to see your kid in so much agony.  No matter how much of a PITA he is.

Kieran was beginning to feel better by Saturday just a little weak.  But it was the first day he didn't take meds as soon as he woke up.  He had a bit of breakfast and asked if we could go get a burrito, but we didn't as it may be a bit much for his stomach to handle right now.  He is only half asian.


So for his birthday on Monday we kept it small as his energy was just starting to return.  Next door came over for the yearly Easter Egg hunt and to hang out and play games and watch movies.


I was the only one in the house that didn't have a work holiday.  So I closed my office door and managed my day.

I also had noticed that our toilet upstairs was leaking.  I could feel the water squirting when I moved the supply hose.  I noticed it on Saturday.  I had seen a small puddle on the floor, but thought it was from me washing my hands, then i saw it again.   I had sprayed grout sealer around the toilet area, and thought it was that, but when I saw water dripping around the supply hose area.  I thought it was overspray.

It turns out the seal on the old hose was worn down.  (top is old).  I didn't know these things wore out.

This toilet may have simple clean lines, but replacing the hose is not that simple.  I basically have to take the tank off to remove the hose.  This is why it's so important for us to finish the basement laundry and 2nd bath.  If we have any plumbing problems upstairs.  We've got no options.

After work, I noticed how warm and nice it was outside.  No wind.  It turned out to be a super nice day. While the kids were occupied and Tresa recovered from a bad migraine, I went for a quick ride on my bike and enjoyed what was left of a really beautiful B-Earth day, then heading to Home Depot, to get a replacement hose and get our toilet back in working order.