.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

tolerate everything in moderation

Monday, April 01, 2019

SlushFest - Sir Sam's

I've ridden a fatbike before but I'd never ridden a fatbike on the trails.  I really didn't know what the big deal was.  I was a....skeptic! I ride mtb, I have a gravel bike, I enjoy offroad riding.  But a Fatbike?

Mother Nature wasn't cooperating, but you know what, Fat Bike riding is about being able to ride in non-ideal conditions. And ultimately have fun riding.  It's certainly a blast.

There were people there who had pre-registered for the event.  Renting the bikes from Algonquin Outfitters and getting a lift pass.  And there were people who had come with their own fatbikes riding the trails.  The trails used in the forest were the snowshoe trails.  The trails through the trees, I knew from riding in the summer and skiing in the winter.  Now i was riding them in the snow!  I couldn't believe it.

I hit all the trails I would normally ride with my trail bike. Traction wasn't great, as the snow was not packed enough.  And the rain was making the trail narrower and narrower.  Go off the snow shoe trail and the snow is up to your hip.  My front end was washing out.  But this was my first time on a fatbike.  I would need to do it more to get the experience to be able to ride better on these machines.

But was it fun?
For SURE!  I would do it again next year.
It put a big smile on my face. I was happy to be riding with others that just wanted to have fun.  I didn't even really notice that it damp out.  That it was slushy, I was wiping out on the trail, but I was laughing as it happened.   I was laughing more at the two guys i met there as I watched him slide down the front hill towards the chalet.  It was even raining after our lunch break.  But I wanted to get a few more runs in, before it got too slick for me.

I think I would be a bit nervous, if i wasn't that experienced of a rider.  But once you figure it out.  It's pretty fun.  I was looking to see what this bike could do. I can see why people have these bikes.  Whatever gets you off the couch and outside in the fresh air, out with friends, laughing.  I mean.  That's all GOOD!


I was happy that Kieran gave it a go and got to experience it and have fun with us.  I was very thankful that he didn't get hurt.  As he hasn't come riding with me on the trails at Sir Sams so I was constantly looking to see how he was doing as I couldn't give him any real instructions except - don't get hurt.  And go only as fast as you feel comfortable.  Which translates to - don't go fast.
I was a bit concerned for him, as it does take some riding skill to ride down a ski hill in dry conditions. Well this wasn't it.  But he survived.  After lunch he said he was good to stay in.  Which was a good decision.

In these conditions, you hit the brakes and you are wondering if the brakes actually work.  But when you release the lever, you find yourself accelerating so you know you they work.  At least snow is soft.  Except once you get to the ice underneath.

One thing to note is that when your wheels are turning.  You have control.  When they don't, there's no control.  Keep your front wheel turning. You need to do more than sit on the saddle and pedal and turn it like a truck.  You need to move and manipulate the bike beneath you.  It's hard to explain, and takes some practice.
It was a SLO immersion weekend with a side of outdoor snow activities. Kieran was skipping a class on Sat to get the chance to be a fatbiker, sorry, a fatbike rider.

But to make up for missing SLO class. Strič Joe made it a SLO only Friday evening. Many of their polka/folk songs, and I'm not talking the Chicken Dance, are like country songs. They tell a story, they are hundreds of years old, all SLOs grow up hearing them. So this is something that he shares with us. It's awesome.

Joe makes sure I get to experience the culture with a few beers and maybe a shot of something home made or whatever has at least 5+% alcohol content. Apparently It helps with the learning. Opens the mind up for us adults not of SLO heritage.

Joe also has a good memory, cuz he always remembers exactly where Urs wipes out and loses his phone out of his pocket that he fails to zip up.  Once we get a call from Urs' cell, we know he's found it.



This is SlushFest